Thread: 2012 Olympics

Hybrid View

Launchin' Nukes at Noobs Contributor palerider's Avatar

2012 Olympics

Well it has begun once again. Was looking for my old house on the TV....watched the stadium being built over the 7 years I lived there....but alas couldn't see my old street from some of the local shots.

Seriously.....wasn't impressed with the opening ceremony.......and wtf was all that pop music about??

Well anyhow, was good to see all the teams were warmly welcomed. Can't wait for the athletics.......hoping to see Bolt fly amongst many other talented athletes...all from the TV....its cheaper and you get better views
    "Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe." -Albert Einstein [1879-1955]

DIE! By my hand! Administrator MetalMilitia's Avatar
    + YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Best part of the opening, though you won't get many responses from most Americans. We get a shitty replay that started about 20 minutes ago :)

Cannot believe NBC put it on a few hour delay to grab ratings on the nightly line up... then again, money money money.

I despise pop music, but Rowan Akinson stole the show in my opinion. Best, funniest, well thought out part. Dude is a genius in every respect to humor.

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    Email : webmaster (-at-) armageddononline (-dot-) org or click here.

Little Bird of Prey phedrereine's Avatar
    I second that about Rowan Atkinson! Pitch perfect performance. I also thought the fireworks after the torch lighting were impressive! But the rest of the show was kind of bizarre to me... That technology/music part was the worst, I think. And with such an arsenal of songs that the UK has, they chose some pretty lackluster rap and pop ones. They could have done so much better with that. And they should've gotten Elton John to perform, rather than Paul McCartney, who, let's be honest, really can't sing anymore...

It was fun to watch the parade of teams and the torch lighting. Those are usually the best parts in any opening ceremony for me. I'm glad everything went off without a hitch and the games have begun! Ah, I always get sucked in...
    "But more wonderful than the lore of old men and the lore of books is the secret lore of ocean."

I felt like the games were produced for a British audience, with no regard to the fact that its meant to be a show for the WORLD.

It tickled me and delighted, as a Brit, as it was designed to do. It struck the right chords with me, and with everyone I know (all british). And the reaction outside of Britain seems to be one of not getting it, finding it bizarre (as per phed) or other such words. Its a shame we had to follow Beijing, an opening ceremony no country could ever equal, even the USA. The response by Boyle is like he said to himself "Fuck it, ill just make a show I know the home audience will like".

I kinda like that it showcased the country it's being held at (always want to see what they will do) ; but if you want to talk things it was missing? More 'rounded' as you said ; more of a world feel. It felt pretty damn anarchy in the UK to me. It was a stroke-fest dedicated to the hosting country, not sure how I could phrase it otherwise.

It isn't wrong, because it's always been my idea that the hosting country can do whatever the fuck they want. So long as ALL the countries are represented in some way, they can give a 4 hour speech about the benefits of eating more brussels sprouts for all I care.

Also ; comparing it is nonsense. Amount of music and celebrities I like out of the UK > China, heh. Sorry Ching chong chang the pop singer, the Brits win on that one. We got Zeppelin, Floyd, Beatles and what's China ever done for music? Mhmm....

I think I already said this, but where the fuck was John Cleese? He is the first person I think of every time ; not the queen, not the royal family, John fucking Cleese. I know he's 70+ but I think a small montage or Python reference would have been pretty damn awesome.

The reason I posted Rowan drumming was because I'm a drummer, and the Chinese part of that is pretty damn awesome ; I don't want to really compare them.

The best part of it is knowing that the Americans wore, what looked to be British school boy uniforms, that were actually MADE in China. I know that part of the shot wasn't supposed to be funny, but I sure was laughing. GJ Raplh Lauren, one of the biggest troll jobs in history.

** had to edit this, when I got done posting the local news came on talking about the "VERY BRITISH" opening. Whatever... I'm as American as they come right? And I enjoyed it, then again I'm not the typical dumbass American who ignorantly thinks every different way is wrong... I've been a fan of Python / Fawlty Towers / Bean / Red Dwarf / fan since like 7th grade - and like I said ; MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC. Meh. The world doesn't revolve around you, and you aren't that special.

Hosting the Olympics should showcase the country and culture, just make sure you give other countries proper time for introduction. After that, who cares?

Little Bird of Prey phedrereine's Avatar
    The Beijing ceremony was magnificent. It would be hard to top that. I agree no one has equaled it.

I think it's cool that the British have managed to maintain their ancient traditions with the royalty. They've been more successful at this by far than any other country, and it gives their culture something truly unique.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
    Also ; comparing it is nonsense. Amount of music and celebrities I like out of the UK > China, heh. Sorry Ching chong chang the pop singer, the Brits win on that one. We got Zeppelin, Floyd, Beatles and what's China ever done for music? Mhmm....
    I'm sure China has a lot of music we just don't know about. They were closed off for a long time and in many cultural ways, still are. I don't think it's right to assume that any country has better music than another, there's no way one can know everything and it would be far too complex to judge anyway. But yeah, what we're comparing is not what the countries have but of how they represent those things in the opening Olympic ceremony.

As for the uniforms, I actually liked ours okay, except for those hats. It's funny you say British school boys... My thought was "Preppies visiting Paris." The British uniforms looked like they were going to the disco or something. Didn't quite understand that.

Actually what made me laugh was how the Americans were all on their smart phones taking pictures of each other.
    "But more wonderful than the lore of old men and the lore of books is the secret lore of ocean."

On the Edge - any place else is taking up too much space
    The Queen was cool. I am still floored by the English people and their love for royalty, and the monarchy pomp and showmanship . Its as if nothing has changed and in spite of the fact that thousands of years have passed - nationally they consider themselves loyal servants.
    Galadriel: "I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. "Translation: "The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air."

You realize my name is METALMILITIA right? :P Heh, music is being judged by me in the sense that I'm EXTREMELY opinionated. i admit I am biased as hell when it comes to that :)

Also it seemed like tons of countries did that, they all walked out with their phones and recorded the shit. Whatever works ; gets you FB followers, twitter followers, and it captures the view that no one else has.

It's like concerts now, year ago ; lighters... now... fkn phones everywhere.

I liked the opening ceremony... which I considered was a Danny Boyle 'art' is the event/the event is the art setpiece. I fell asleep during the march of the countries, which I suspected I would.

The events have been entertaining in a 'real time' way, no thanks to sloppy NBC programme-pandering. It's like they're arranging dates for us... so we can 'fall in-love' with whoever they think best.

2 of the American beach-volleyball women were hotdogging-it against Argentina, and I don't blame the crowd for jeering 'em a bit.

The vuvuzela's were threatening to make a comeback at a few of the futbol venues. Nooooooooooooooooooo..... Security should be confiscating those things.

The empty corporate-seating issue is becoming a pretty big deal:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86S0PF20120729
    " Take Badlaw's body out to the gold-mine 'n toss it down a shaft. "

Can we ban some countries like China and North Korea? I'm sorry but it is unfair. I don't think I could compete against some one knowing if I beat them they will be executed when they get home. The winners are treated like gods sure but the ones who don't win get a bullet and then the family is charged for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1737181.html
    Defectors have described abysmal conditions and horrors such as torture, executions, and starvation.
    http://www.bartcop.com/gop-war-on-hellhath.jpg
    Non Alcoholic Beer is like a Vibrator without batteries. Fills you up but without the buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerGal View Post
    Can we ban some countries like China and North Korea? I'm sorry but it is unfair. I don't think I could compete against some one knowing if I beat them they will be executed when they get home. The winners are treated like gods sure but the ones who don't win get a bullet and then the family is charged for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1737181.html
    I think its niave of anyone to think the world is a wonderful place in terms of human existence and somewhat benial to make that comment.

Perhaps, in the way of the world you should embrace the freedom you have, respect it and let it shine like a light in the world. Those who are oppressed to the extreme, beyond that which you and I in more civilised parts of the world experience need that light, that hope....the olympics is a magnificant world stage for more than just sport...
    "Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe." -Albert Einstein [1879-1955]

Well it's all over and I have to confess its brought a tear to my eye. I loved the whole games, yes we did great with Team GB, but my God, Ussain Bolt just took my breath away.....boy oh boy can he run...such power!!

I've enjoyed every minute of the Olympics....the atmosphere even on the TV was electric....just sad I couldn't afford to go for real.

Bloody marvellous and a great memory already.....just one thing I didn't like the opening or closing showstuff......some of the singers I thought were already beyond the grave...lol

Oh dear....I think everyones got post Olympic blues........sigh :O((

Thread Information