Thread: DARPA developing "Cheetah" robot which can run 18MPH...

Bull$hit Artist Contributor Blu-ray's Avatar

DARPA developing "Cheetah" robot which can run 18MPH...

Disable These Ads!
    Anyone see the move Red Planet? Remember the AMEE robot in it? That's what this freaking thing reminds me of!

AMEE

Cheetah

Looking like a four-legged "Star Wars" creature, the Pentagon's "Cheetah" robot can gallop up to 18 mph, a land speed record for legged robots.The robot is the product of the Defense Department's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
    "The robot's movements are patterned after those of fast-running animals in nature," stated a news release onDARPA's website . "The robot increases its stride and running speed by flexing and un-flexing its back on each step, much as an actual cheetah does."
    Powered by an off-board hydraulic pump, the robot ran on a laboratory treadmill in a demonstration. A boom-like device keeps it running in the center of the treadmill.
    The military plans to test a free-running prototype later this year.
    The robot's high speed of 18 mph might not sound all that impressive, but it is nearly five mph faster than the previous record of 13.1 mph, set in 1989. Also, 18 mph is much faster than the average human jogger, according to Wired.com .
    And Usain Bolt, the human world-record holder, was clocked at 28 mph during the 100-meter sprint in 2009.
    Boston Dynamics, the company behind Cheetah would like the robot to sprint as fast as 60 mph or 70 mph the speed of a real cheetah, according to Wired.com.
    The website reported that DARPA has not yet revealed what the robot will be used for. Along with its eventual high speeds, the device could be designed so it can zigzag to chase and evade. It could be used for emergency response, firefighting, advanced agriculture and vehicular travel.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/darp...pgoha-20120306

FlatLiner Contributor DontBeAfraid's Avatar
    It looks like it has a LONG way to go... which is kinda surprising...
    I aggressively attack stupidity... If you feel I am being aggressive, well....

Bull$hit Artist Contributor Blu-ray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DontBeAfraid View Post
    It looks like it has a LONG way to go... which is kinda surprising...
    But they are getting there. We've been taking leaps and bounds in recent years in regards to technology. I feel before the end of this decade...

Karma caster Contributor
    old news, They do have big dogs and little dogs, and human bipedal walkers and on and on... the droid armies are in the begining stages...Five bucks says civilian forces will use them more than military forces
    Jim Crow America relegated Blacks to the back of buses. Israel wants Arabs excluded from the bus entirely.

But they are getting there. We've been taking leaps and bounds in recent years in regards to technology. I feel before the end of this decade...
    Thats what I thought a decade ago when I saw the one legged robot that could bounce and balance indefinitely... Seems odd to me that we arent already seeing sprinting animal bots...

I don't see the point of it. That thing'd be so easy to knock-out with countermeasures, it's unreal.

Karma caster Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef Badlaw View Post
    I don't see the point of it. That thing'd be so easy to knock-out with countermeasures, it's unreal.

Your looking at a civilian take down bot.... WHy risk a pigs life.... why risk a dogs life... why risk life>? Send in the 50 mile an hour cheetah bot to run over a perp or whatever...Especially in encampments like occupy pop up cities!!! Send in the cheetah drop a few cans of gas pull out the Cheetah

I can totally see the tactile love affair with this thing...

Speaking of love affairs

BLU-RAY WHERE ART THOUGH!!!
    Jim Crow America relegated Blacks to the back of buses. Israel wants Arabs excluded from the bus entirely.

This ALPHA version perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch View Post
    Your looking at a civilian take down bot...

BLU-RAY WHERE ART THOUGH!!!
    It's 'thou'; the archaic second-person singular nominative, still used in parts of Scotland.

Anyhow, for crowd-dispersal, I thought that cops were supposed to be using that 'sonic resonator' cannon or 'heat focus' inductor-shield by now.

Lucky survivor Seasoned Member
    This is an interesting development. Of course such things will first be used by the military of any country, but soon enough they will be used by movers, in warehouses, shops selling huge items (like IKEA).

A robot on wheels is useful, but its use is restricted. A robot that can walk, now that is interesting.

Expect this to pop up in civilian applications in a few years.

Cart-mod 2.0 Global Moderator Cartesiantheater's Avatar

"I was put on trial twice near Y2K for acting like Jesus and claiming to be the Messiah. Its not everyday that a man parks a Chariot of Fire in front of a tomb and stands against the US government with a bow and razor tipped arrows over his shoulder. I wore a suit of armor and was protected by an invisible bubble and my sharp tongue was more than the judicial system could handle."Jake
    "The toilet is more than a throne. It is a sacred chamber."-Anton LaVey, High Priest of Satanism

Thread Information