Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renew AO Chat

FU Q 2 Contributor custompainter's Avatar
    Disable These Ads!
    Last edited by custompainter; Mar 17th, 2012 at 1:38 AM.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by custompainter View Post
    Like the old saying goes...........Put up or shut up! lol
    Good point, Douche.
    I'll pay half if others drum up the other half.

I considered paying for it all, but BSG-O is a better waste of money, if I'm going to be throwing money away online.

Local Pedant Contributor lazserus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fut004 View Post
    Would probably be a lot more appealing to people if the blinding white screen didn't burn your eyes and cause headaches though.
    This is paradoxical. It's like the slippery slope and the catch-22 had a love child. A better chat would bring in more chatters, yet more chatters are insisted to upgrade the chat. When I first started doing professional information technology work, I ran into a similar paradox. I couldn't find a job because I didn't have the professional experience for entry-level positions, yet without getting those entry-level positions I couldn't attain the experience. And round and round I went until I enlisted in the military and THEN landed a badass job. We have a similar paradox here: with the chat in its current state it's unattractive and perhaps prevents retention aside from those few of us who join to talk to the rest of us few; although renewing the chat license may then provide a more comfortable experience wherein newcomers will stick around . . . yet to pay the high cost of a license it should be warranted (in my opinion). And round and round we go. Make chat better for newcomers yet newcomers potentially stay with better chat.

However, I will state the history here: even when the license was active, the chat only brought in those 5-6 regulars scattered throughout the day (rarely 5-6 ever logged in at one time), seldom a newcomer came in. Unfortunately we don't have the best track record to use as a bargaining chip. It's paradoxical to an extent, yet history says few actually utilized the chat whilst it was licensed. Thus the question must be asked, "Is it worth paying to renew the license?" I'm playing devil's advocate here, trying to approach this situation logically and from an administrative and financial position. If it were up to me and I had the means and money, I would renew it for at least one more year. But it's not up to me, and I don't have the money. I'm just trying to nudge you guys a little to appreciate what MM is dealing with.

Like the old saying goes...........Put up or shut up! lol
    That's a little harsh. Yea, there are things on this site we do with that mentality, but this isn't quite the same. This is a financial issue MM is considering, and the decision isn't easy. All I'm trying to say is we as members could help encourage a decision in our favor if we suck up the current status and show that we'll use the chat even when it's stripped! If we stand together and utilize an expensive tool when it's "broken" then it encourages a fix. We show that it's worth saving.

FU Q 2 Contributor custompainter's Avatar
    Last edited by custompainter; Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:29 AM.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Prepared survivor Seasoned Member
    Harsh?
    Ive paid for that chatroom before,more than once.

I dont appreciate being called a douche by the guy who uses it the most,and who also conciders paying for it..."Throwing money away online".

I also dont appreciate it when my friends are condescending towards my honesty.

I set aside a certain amount that I donate or support. The money I donate here could be better used in other places,theres no doubt about that.
    But I feel this place is worthy enough to warrant my help.

My smile everyday comes from helping others who are working just as hard as I did to make something out of nothing.

Yet I continue to support this site. Even when the Big Dog shows up and tells me that my writing has never been good enough for his front page.
    Or even bothers to comment on my threads.

So, harsh?......you get what you earn. But then thats just me.

Sorry for the rant, MM.

I need a vacation.
    Nice how the mods make you feel so welcome is it not? This is exactly why I do not contribute.
    Samauri Warrior

Any way of making the free chat black? or a darker color? the bright white gives us all migraines
    http://www.bartcop.com/gop-war-on-hellhath.jpg
    Non Alcoholic Beer is like a Vibrator without batteries. Fills you up but without the buzz.

Prepared survivor Seasoned Member
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN$ $$$$$$$$$$$$ means GO
    Samauri Warrior

Queen of Blades Global Moderator Diamond Dragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lazserus View Post
    Fridays were crazy nights when the room flooded with members, Saturdays were half as strong, and then it died out again until the following week.

Fridays are still pretty hot around here for the chat, but nowhere near what it was like some years back.
    That was some good times but they were also drunken, creative endeavors. I don't drink near as much or stay up as late. I've gotten lazy.

Vent is cheaper and I can mute the retards.

Can you still look to see who's in the chatroom before actually entering it or is that the old version I'm thinking of?
    "Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." Bernard Baruch

Scroll to the bottom of the main forum page and there is a "Who's in Chat"
    http://www.bartcop.com/gop-war-on-hellhath.jpg
    Non Alcoholic Beer is like a Vibrator without batteries. Fills you up but without the buzz.

Queen of Blades Global Moderator Diamond Dragon's Avatar
    I'm not getting anything resembling a who's in chat in either style.

*Edit, never mind. It showed up about 5 minutes after I entered the chatroom. \o/
    Last edited by Diamond Dragon; Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:31 PM.
    "Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." Bernard Baruch

As far as the paying issue goes...

Would you still want to pay for chat if the social interaction available on chat was limited by the fact that people had to pay?

Meaning, there would be fewer people to actually "chat" to.
    Poetry is superior to history -Aristotle
    True time is four dimensional -Heidegger
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players -Shakespeare

Thread Information