Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it cool to raise your child as gender-neutral?

Is it cool to raise your child as gender-neutral?

Disable These Ads!
    I was left a little speechless at this.

It's a boy! Couple who brought up their child 'gender neutral' reveal sex of 'The Infant'.. after keeping it a secret for FIVE YEARS

A couple who concealed the sex of their child and raised it as ‘gender neutral’ for five years have finally revealed - it’s a boy.

Beck Laxton, 46, and partner Kieran Cooper, 44, decided not to reveal Sasha’s gender in the hope it would let his ‘real’ personality shine through.

They referred to him as 'the infant' and allowed him to play only with ‘gender-neutral toys’ in their television-free home.
    Gender neutral: Sasha dressed as a fairy on the picture that was used on the family Christmas card in 2010

Gender neutral: Sasha dressed as a fairy on the picture that was used on the family Christmas card in 2010

For the past five years Sasha has alternated between girls’ and boys’ clothes, leaving friends, playmates and relatives guessing.

However Beck and Kieran, from Sawston, Cambridgeshire, decided to reveal Sasha's masculinity to the world after it became harder to conceal when he started primary school.

Yesterday Beck, a web editor, said: 'I wanted to avoid all that stereotyping.

'Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?

'It’s like horoscopes. What could be stupider than thinking there are 12 types of personality that depend on when you were born? It’s so idiotic.

'Gender affects what children wear and what they can play with, and that shapes the kind of person they become.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1k2Py1fcP

It's good, I think, to let boys play with dolls and let girls be tomboys, but I can't imagine denying your child the experience of identifying with his or her gender.
    absit invidia

Bank Robber Contributor Tsunami's Avatar
    I think the personality of the child should decide what they play with. They should all have a choice within safe reason. I think denying him masculine and feminine toys is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    I think the personality of the child should decide what they play with. They should all have a choice within safe reason. I think denying him masculine and feminine toys is wrong.
    Well said. I was determined not to have any violent toys (guns et al) in our repertoire early on. Then, after reading some well-researched educational curricula, I found that even if children are provided only all natural, organic, geometric type toys (and no electronic media) that they will practically always find a way to fashion and create weapons, as well as conduct imaginary battles and combat. Such creative powers!

It seemed that as much as I was determined not to allow guns or weapons in our toy collection, from a very early age my boy was determined to have a "gun." To this day he craves swords and weapons and violent video games. So I caved early on as well....I really didn't wish to stifle his natural interests. We have lots of talks instead about decency and integrity and compassion.

At the same time, I didn't mind if he picked Dora the Explorer paraphernalia as well.....lol. So even now, if he picks a video game with violent themes -- his latest -- Metroid for the wii -- he's perfectly fine with the main character, who kicks ass, being a female. I'm fairly ok with that, haha.
    absit invidia

Very interesting article, Calli.

Their entire method sounds like it was not without irony.
    They say, "Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?"

But non-gender-descriptive is, in fact, a box.
    I just kind of feel bad for the kid, because it sounds like their androgynous approach meant he could have less fun. Fun as in, playing "outdoors," and allowed to be wild. Girls seem to be raised as being domestic, while boys have slightly more freedom, though perhaps not to like dolls or the color pink... But if you use both methods (stereoypical male and stereotypical female) to try to produce something that is affected by neither, you are really just limiting your horizons, in an attempt to not put him in "a box."

Honestly, being gender-neutral doesn't sound that fun. I imagine that anything like "play war," wouldn't be "neutral" enough. The kid's childhood was probably limited.

The part about personality is nonsense. I was a kid once, and I knew I was a guy, and I ran around at one point in a pink-tutu, apparently. Personality has nothing to do with gender, when you're a kid, unless you teach your kid that your gender should completely define your opinions about things, like colors, animals, whatever. If you have to hide a child's gender because you're scared it will alter their personality, then you're probably a bad parent. Unless you teach them to alter their tastes based on their gender, they probably won't.

[....]

But I have some questions about their methods. It appears they didn't let the child socialize at an early age, perhaps fearing that peer interaction would enforce a specific gender. So up until the age of five, it seems possible he has had little to no interaction with peers. Not that that is important, he'll do fine...

But assuming he did interact with people his age, there's the problem with hair length. Did they cut his hair, or let it grow out? Because depending which choice you make, you socially enforce in him a gender role. If they cut his hair, he would be seen as a boy by peers or adults, and treated as such. If allowed to grow out, he might be viewed as a girl--re the culture we live in.
    As far as distinguishing toddlers go... I can generally tell if a two-year-old is a boy or girl from their scream. As far as my relatives are concerned, and two-year-olds in general, I find girls have a much more piercing shriek. Relatively.
    Poetry is superior to history -Aristotle
    True time is four dimensional -Heidegger
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players -Shakespeare

I don't think what the parents did was gender neutral by gender abolishing. That poor kid could end up very confused.

I think most kids like some sort of fighting, it's natural. The girls I grew up with were happy to play 'power rangers' with the boys, doing high kicks and pretending we were super heros in battle. My signature weapon was stingey nettles plucked by the stem so they didn't sting me. I also made swords with the boys from wood with hammers and nails and played with toy cars. I didn't want to play with 'running your own home' toys, I couldn't see any fun in it. I'm not lesbian or masculine but I liked boys toys.

I do think some of the games go a little far though on computers these days. Manhunt for example. Not at all good for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatnik Bob View Post
    Very interesting article, Calli.

Their entire method sounds like it was not without irony.
    They say, "Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?"

But non-gender-descriptive is, in fact, a box.
    I just kind of feel bad for the kid, because it sounds like their androgynous approach meant he could have less fun. Fun as in, playing "outdoors," and allowed to be wild. Girls seem to be raised as being domestic, while boys have slightly more freedom, though perhaps not to like dolls or the color pink... But if you use both methods (stereoypical male and stereotypical female) to try to produce something that is affected by neither, you are really just limiting your horizons, in an attempt to not put him in "a box."

Honestly, being gender-neutral doesn't sound that fun. I imagine that anything like "play war," wouldn't be "neutral" enough. The kid's childhood was probably limited.

The part about personality is nonsense. I was a kid once, and I knew I was a guy, and I ran around at one point in a pink-tutu, apparently. Personality has nothing to do with gender, when you're a kid, unless you teach your kid that your gender should completely define your opinions about things, like colors, animals, whatever. If you have to hide a child's gender because you're scared it will alter their personality, then you're probably a bad parent. Unless you teach them to alter their tastes based on their gender, they probably won't.

[....]

But I have some questions about their methods. It appears they didn't let the child socialize at an early age, perhaps fearing that peer interaction would enforce a specific gender. So up until the age of five, it seems possible he has had little to no interaction with peers. Not that that is important, he'll do fine...

But assuming he did interact with people his age, there's the problem with hair length. Did they cut his hair, or let it grow out? Because depending which choice you make, you socially enforce in him a gender role. If they cut his hair, he would be seen as a boy by peers or adults, and treated as such. If allowed to grow out, he might be viewed as a girl--re the culture we live in.
    As far as distinguishing toddlers go... I can generally tell if a two-year-old is a boy or girl from their scream. As far as my relatives are concerned, and two-year-olds in general, I find girls have a much more piercing shriek. Relatively.

Kids like to play dress-up. All kids do. If mine wanted to try my make-up I let him. Our culture has enough sexist programming as it is. Already he displays signs of sexism. Recently, most (not all) of the places we've gone to eat have changed our order significantly. Such as bringing an entirely different order than we requested, and/or adding or changing something we specifically asked for. When a male brings our order, my son is rather complacent. When a female delivers it, he becomes hostile....the other day stating obstinately, no matter what I explained, "I HATE WOMEN".

When he was younger, I wanted him to have long hair. Long hair on men is totally masculine, I think. Now that he's older, his long hair is a nightmare....his energy literally is more chaotic with long hair. I can understand military desiring buzz-cuts for soldiers! It's really hard letting him keep a long hair style, things can get quite chaotic, energetically speaking, in our space, but he has learned to tone down his energy if he wants to keep his long hair. Such a struggle over the tiniest of things!!

I was not allowed to have long hair as a child (or often wear skirts, or take dance or gymnastics). I was required to have a boy's hair-cut. I'd run around with half-slips on my head, pretending to have long hair and that I was a princess. I was devastated when I went to a public restroom and the owner followed me in and told me that I was not allowed to use the ladies room. I was just a kid. So I feel really bad for this kid:

absit invidia

I do think some of the games go a little far though on computers these days. Manhunt for example. Not at all good for kids.
    Undoubtedly!

Mine downloaded an adult killing game on his 3DS the other day. He's always supposed to ask before he downloads anything. He did it behind my back, and thought he was so clever, lol. But he couldn't contain his excitement and told me he did it. He used $8 worth of his Nintendo shop points to do so.

I expressed my displeasure very amply. I told him that he could keep it at his discretion, but that it would affect his future privileges. It was a hard decision, but then we talked about how life often will present hard decisions, and that it's good to learn about such things now. So it turned into a great learning experience, and he said he was glad to have that talk.

Later that day he deleted the game, of his own accord (without playing it) and asked for a tekno-puppy. Hehe.
    absit invidia

There is nothing sexier than a guy with nice arms and eyeliner. Mmmm hmmmm.

What does your son want to do with his hair? I think he should feel comfortable with his style. I used to do the same thing with the long hair princess thing, but I used a pillow case instead of a slip because my real hair was out of control.

It's great that the adult killing game is gone. Fighting games like kung fu or boxing would be better. Or shooting at buildings instead of in peoples faces. Some of those adult games are rediculously violent and a lot of the players get obessive over them.

There is something that needs pointing out here

What is your relationship with your parents. How would you react if they tried to dictate your gender roll.

How do you think your kids will relate to you in years to come, will they react to you any different from how you react to your folks.

Fact is the kids are individuals in their own right, you can only do so much but they will decide the rest as they want
    Blessings in the name of my Lord Jesus Christ who came in the flesh and now sits at the right hand of our God on high.

A confession of faith that the modern Evangelical movement can no longer make!

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    There is something that needs pointing out here

What is your relationship with your parents. How would you react if they tried to dictate your gender roll.

How do you think your kids will relate to you in years to come, will they react to you any different from how you react to your folks.

Fact is the kids are individuals in their own right, you can only do so much but they will decide the rest as they want

When I was a teenager and in an exclusive boarding school, my parents forced me to see a psychiatrist due to the fact that I was an academic underachiever. The doc was rather cool, and she told me that my only problem was that I needed to separate my identity from that of my parents, and find what was important to me.

That actually caused me enormous distress....like unconsciously, the thought of that made me feel unsteady and unbalanced and I cried for hours in a nearby bistro before I was able to call a cab to fetch me and return me to the dorm. After that I told them that I could never go back to that doc again. She was more right than I knew.

Just the other day, my 9 yr old yelled at me that he can't wait to get out on his own when he's 18. I responded, Excellent, that means that I'm doing my job very well.
    absit invidia

There is nothing sexier than a guy with nice arms and eyeliner. Mmmm hmmmm.

What does your son want to do with his hair? I think he should feel comfortable with his style. I used to do the same thing with the long hair princess thing, but I used a pillow case instead of a slip because my real hair was out of control.

It's great that the adult killing game is gone. Fighting games like kung fu or boxing would be better. Or shooting at buildings instead of in peoples faces. Some of those adult games are rediculously violent and a lot of the players get obessive over them.
    Yes, a man's man who can rock eyeliner definitely weakens the knees......

My little rockstar has super-fine neck-length hair atm, that sticks up straight all over his head when he doesn't comb it. He wants to keep letting it grow and goes panicky when I tell him we need a short, manageable hair style.

And omg, such a mischievous little man too.....he got mad last night because he said I don't trust him enough. I said, how can I when he fakes me out and does stuff behind my back all the time? So he went very quiet....and thoughtful, and just before sleep time, he told me that he had to confess something. Remember the 3DS game that he said he deleted? He made me watch while he pressed the delete button. But he confessed, a few hours after my post, that he had made a copy of the game on his sd card before deleting it from the system!! Omg....I was just stunned, he's so smart, I almost couldn't stop from laughing. I said we'll discuss it in the morning. Hahaha.
    absit invidia

Quote Originally Posted by calliope View Post
    Kids like to play dress-up. All kids do. If mine wanted to try my make-up I let him.
    Hah. You might as well.

Our culture has enough sexist programming as it is. Already he displays signs of sexism. Recently, most (not all) of the places we've gone to eat have changed our order significantly. Such as bringing an entirely different order than we requested, and/or adding or changing something we specifically asked for. When a male brings our order, my son is rather complacent. When a female delivers it, he becomes hostile....the other day stating obstinately, no matter what I explained, "I HATE WOMEN".
    Might have something to do with you being a single parent.

I'm looking for the link for an article I read... Where it pointed out that females, for example, hit puberty sooner if they are not around their biological father--something to do with pheromones. I realize that's for daughters, but I think single-parent households make a child behave differently. Whether it's single male, or single female.
    He might view males positively simply because male involvement in his life is a novelty.

Not that you should attempt anything with your asshole ex... But I believe single-parent status might have some bearing on his opinions.

When he was younger, I wanted him to have long hair. Long hair on men is totally masculine, I think. Now that he's older, his long hair is a nightmare....his energy literally is more chaotic with long hair. I can understand military desiring buzz-cuts for soldiers!
    Unless you were Celtic or Germanic. Buzz cuts were Roman and Greek.

It's really hard letting him keep a long hair style, things can get quite chaotic, energetically speaking, in our space, but he has learned to tone down his energy if he wants to keep his long hair. Such a struggle over the tiniest of things!!

So I feel really bad for this kid:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...66_634x805.jpg
    No kidding.

The parents weren't really creating a gender-neutral environment were they?
    It appears that in order to not confine him in a "masculine" box, they instead just confined him to a "feminine" one.
    He would be happier if he could play with the neighborhood kids, et cetera. I did that when I was a niño, and I brought my little sister along all the same... Is my little sister a tomboy for growing up with her brother? Not really. So I disagree with their basic premise.

Might have something to do with you being a single parent.

I'm looking for the link for an article I read... Where it pointed out that females, for example, hit puberty sooner if they are not around their biological father--something to do with pheromones. I realize that's for daughters, but I think single-parent households make a child behave differently. Whether it's single male, or single female.
    He might view males positively simply because male involvement in his life is a novelty.
    Well, he spends a lot of time with his dad at least once a week, and often-times more than that, as well as participating in group activities that feature male instructors, so "male involvement" in his life really isn't a novelty.

Unless you were Celtic or Germanic. Buzz cuts were Roman and Greek.
    We have a 29000 acre military training reservation in our town (oddly enough, located directly adjacent to several enormous mega-churches and their mega-acreage properties) and I have to say that most of those associated with that enterprise sport buzz-cut style hairstyles (not the females though.) I don't actually know if they are Roman or Greek however, the military recruiters seem to draw heavily on the minority populations though, from what it appears to me. It does appear that the white man has done a great job of enslaving the lower and minority classes around here as well.

The parents weren't really creating a gender-neutral environment were they?
    It appears that in order to not confine him in a "masculine" box, they instead just confined him to a "feminine" one.
    He would be happier if he could play with the neighborhood kids, et cetera. I did that when I was a niño, and I brought my little sister along all the same... Is my little sister a tomboy for growing up with her brother? Not really. So I disagree with their basic premise.
    Well, he has 2 siblings, as well as starting public school at 5 yrs old, so it doesn't seem that they are isolating him from other kids. At the same time, they say that the school "he" attends requires gender-specific school uniforms, but that he will be wearing boy's pants and female blouse. Now that's a rather cruel thing to do to your kid in public school, I would think.
    absit invidia

Well, he spends a lot of time with his dad at least once a week, and often-times more than that, as well as participating in group activities that feature male instructors, so "male involvement" in his life really isn't a novelty.
    Ah, then never mind the hypothesis. I like to speculate about things. It's almost a hobby.

Well, he has 2 siblings, as well as starting public school at 5 yrs old, so it doesn't seem that they are isolating him from other kids.
    I wonder how his siblings treated him. He's old enough to recognize disparity, I would think. In that if his brother received a different type of attention that he wasn't allowed to receive... he would notice it.

It would seem to me that in order to achieve a completely gender-neutral lifestyle, some form of trauma is required.

At the same time, they say that the school "he" attends requires gender-specific school uniforms, but that he will be wearing boy's pants and female blouse. Now that's a rather cruel thing to do to your kid in public school, I would think.
    That's actually slightly abusive...

It's possible he's going to hate them (his parents) by the time he is a teenager.

I was a kid once, and I knew I was a guy, and I ran around at one point in a pink-tutu
    Well this explains a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Well this explains a lot

You're right, I still do.

Bull$hit Artist Contributor Blu-ray's Avatar
    Interesting twist about NOM reporting on this. They changed the sex of the parents to both be females and called them lesbians. Then changed the story back.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...12/01/24/33589

NOM, the National Organization For Marriage, yesterday on their NOMblog website ran a story titled, “Lesbian Couple Boasts About Hiding Gender of Son for Five Years,” falsely claiming that a heterosexual, one-man, one-woman couple was a lesbian couple, with the clear intent of demonizing same-sex couples. The only problem is that NOM is lying, once again. NOM ran the story, merely quoting an article at Yahoo!, that details a story about a man and a woman, Beck Laxton, 46, and her male partner, Kieran Cooper, 44, who chose to raise the infant we now know is a boy, without revealing his gender to the world, and allowing him to play with traditionally male and female toys, and dressing however he chose:
    “I wanted to avoid all that stereotyping,”Laxton said in aninterview with the Cambridge News. “Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?”
    What the story does have, however, is a lot of comments, which NOM is moderating. Comments calling the actions of the couple “child abuse,” and “sick,” just fueling the anti-gay hatred NOM purveys. When The New Civil Rights Movement accessed the story at about 12:45 PM today, there were 31 comments. Upon accessing the page again at 1:05 PM, there were 27 comments. At least four comments were apparently deleted, but not the ones attacking gays and lesbians. At that time as well, almost a full 24 hours after publication, NOM changed the title. All NOM did was remove the word “Lesbian” from the title. They published no correction, no retraction, no official update.
    Maggie Gallagher, NOM’s former president and Chair, prides herself on her former career as a journalist. NOM knows basic journalistic standards, but cares not to follow them. Which its why they have no problem stealing images, music, videos, and published works from well-known authors. (Yes, we have proof.)
    The comments are important because they feed the lie that NOM is telling.
    Here’s a sample:
    These women are stereotyping lesbians by acting insane. Poor kid. Mommy’s little science experiment.
    If his father was in his life, there would be far less confusion for this boy.”
    Either way, mommy and mommy are not really forward thinkers, are they? Are they afraid to raise the child according to his birth gender?
    “This is a perfect example of what the gaye community are pushing on society, and God’s children! The two (adults) here have made their (choice), to live this sinful lifestyle. But, the two adults already made the choice for this child!! God tells us in his word, that homosxuality is a sin! Man shall not lay with same flesh, as with woman also! I pray that for all of you whom are living this lifestyle, repent of this sin, for in the end is your judgement!! Help them father God!!
    Fortunately, a few of the comments do state the couple is heterosexual, but NOM conveniently has not bothered to issue a retraction or apology or explanation.
    This is empirical evidence that meets, in part, the Southern Poverty Law Center’s definition of a hate group, a group that repeatedly propagates known falsehoods. I have every confidence that the SPLC, were they to launch an investigation, would find NOM now meets the full definition and deserves to be certified as a hate group.

Wow, that sucks that they would warp this issue into an attack on a personal lifestyle.

How many gay people have hetero parents? Does that mean that their hetero parents forced them to be gay by warping their gender-identities? I really think it doesn't.
    absit invidia

Let em do whatever they like. If there are "healthy" role models around, they will have an advantage. If not...

Personally, I think that if you prepare them for the "real world" the best you can then you have done the best you can but this whole "designer kids" thing sets my alarm bell off.

I have a feeling that many of these "parents" are just using their poor kids to validate their own lifestyle choices and thus are not actually raising their kids in a "neutral" manner as they so propose.

But a fat-assed Bull-Dyke who sits around in a wifebeater while drinking beer and bitching at her wife about when dinner is going to be ready does not exactly constitute an "alternative lifestyle" and it is not the least bit "progressive".

Don't fool yourselves.
    http://remyvanruiten.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/logo1.jpg

"...some parts of his work are half-finished, while other parts make a strange medley."...;)...

Real World.....

My son met a sister-brother pair of kids who hailed from Korea, at the park. They were with their German nanny. They spoke Korean while living in Korea, English while living in the U.S. and only German when in Germany......and they seemed well adjusted and interesting (the nanny seemed distressed that they rarely got play-time and instead spent hours in intense study and violin lessons). They seemed to bond well with my kid, not having associated well with other American children, according to the German nanny. They requested his companionship at several more park playdates, and then invited him to their birthday party.

Later, we were very aggressively reprimanded about associating with "evil terrorists" (as they were Korean -- the dark Enemy, and they and their country should be bombed, destroyed, and all the people and children murdered and killed, and their resources taken over by the U.S., blah blah blah blah......), when my son related his excitement about his new friends to external family. Of course he was confused and distressed, and I had to waste several precious hours and days in doing damage control.

So after we spent several of our very-hard-to-come-by $$$ on a very nice birthday gift, the kids completely ignored my son at their party, left him by himself, and never communicated with us again after that. (Seems to be an ongoing theme we have going on.)

Ah, the vagaries and whims of the "Real World."
    absit invidia

Quote Originally Posted by BR
    Interesting twist about NOM reporting on this. They changed the sex of the parents to both be females and called them lesbians. Then changed the story back.
    Wow.

Well, compared to things like that, it makes raising a child to be overly sheltered seem absolutely inconsequential and benign.

NOM is despicable. I guess they're after heterosexual couples now as well.

Real World.....

My son met a sister-brother pair of kids who hailed from Korea, at the park. They were with their German nanny. They spoke Korean while living in Korea, English while living in the U.S. and only German when in Germany......and they seemed well adjusted and interesting (the nanny seemed distressed that they rarely got play-time and instead spent hours in intense study and violin lessons). They seemed to bond well with my kid, not having associated well with other American children, according to the German nanny. They requested his companionship at several more park playdates, and then invited him to their birthday party.

Later, we were very aggressively reprimanded about associating with "evil terrorists" (as they were Korean -- the dark Enemy, and they and their country should be bombed, destroyed, and all the people and children murdered and killed, and their resources taken over by the U.S., blah blah blah blah......), when my son related his excitement about his new friends to external family. Of course he was confused and distressed, and I had to waste several precious hours and days in doing damage control.
    I'm not trying to be offensive in the least...
    ...But you really do seem to have racist family members. It's healthy to tell them to go fuck themselves, every once in awhile (LINK).

Quote Originally Posted by Kiel
    But a fat-assed Bull-Dyke who sits around in a wifebeater while drinking beer and bitching at her wife about when dinner is going to be ready does not exactly constitute an "alternative lifestyle" and it is not the least bit "progressive".

Don't fool yourselves.
    Exactly!

All you child neglecting, fat-assed Bull Dykes in wifebeaters... You have been warned.

Exactly!

All you child neglecting, fat-assed Bull Dykes in wifebeaters... You have been warned.
    Well....I do wear the occasional dress.....

And never drink any alcohol, beer or otherwise, unless it's strictly non-alcohol.....

And we try to go out for dinner as much as possible, as my cooking still has lots of room for improvement, and as much as I try to cook meat, it just never works out that well. As for "child-neglecting"....my kid is begging me to let him be....to allow him to leave the house by himself and walk alone to the nearest Gamestop...drop him off at the mall, etc etc.....

Sorry, but I'm just going to have to continue being the imperfect and overbearing mom that nature made me.
    absit invidia

Cart-mod 2.0 Global Moderator Cartesiantheater's Avatar
    I was left a little speechless at this.

It's good, I think, to let boys play with dolls and let girls be tomboys, but I can't imagine denying your child the experience of identifying with his or her gender.
    I think this is quite unacceptable, as it will possibly result in a huge identity crises for the child, as if human existential problems aren't enough to deal with already. I would rank this up there with brainwashing your kid into accepting a religion. Let the kid be who and what they are, I say, but with a set of guiding light posts. Parents are there to guide, but doing too much one way (brain washing religion for example), or too much another way (you are neither a boy nor a girl) is dangerous.

The mean, the mean, the mean.
    "I was put on trial twice near Y2K for acting like Jesus and claiming to be the Messiah. Its not everyday that a man parks a Chariot of Fire in front of a tomb and stands against the US government with a bow and razor tipped arrows over his shoulder. I wore a suit of armor and was protected by an invisible bubble and my sharp tongue was more than the judicial system could handle."Jake
    "The toilet is more than a throne. It is a sacred chamber."-Anton LaVey, High Priest of Satanism

Bull$hit Artist Contributor Blu-ray's Avatar
    I don't see a problem with it. Let the kid dress how they want play with what they want, etc. Hell I played with Barbies as a child and wore my mother's jewelry from time to time and I turned out just FABULOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!!!!!!!

Cart-mod 2.0 Global Moderator Cartesiantheater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu-ray View Post
    I don't see a problem with it. Let the kid dress how they want play with what they want, etc. Hell I played with Barbies as a child and wore my mother's jewelry from time to time and I turned out just FABULOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!!!!!!!
    They are not letting the child play with what he wants. They are forcing him to play with specific genderless toys (and dress that way, and not identify with any gender).
    "I was put on trial twice near Y2K for acting like Jesus and claiming to be the Messiah. Its not everyday that a man parks a Chariot of Fire in front of a tomb and stands against the US government with a bow and razor tipped arrows over his shoulder. I wore a suit of armor and was protected by an invisible bubble and my sharp tongue was more than the judicial system could handle."Jake
    "The toilet is more than a throne. It is a sacred chamber."-Anton LaVey, High Priest of Satanism

Thread Information