Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940

Thread: “Occupy Wall Street” -Occupy America

Karma caster Contributor
    Disable These Ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    I dont know too much about small towns but have you noticed how in larger metropolitian areas there are so few non franchise stores? Consumers for the most part are relegated and gravitate to corporate "brands" . The corporate super size stores prevail in killing off the ability to create new jobs and enterprises. Small stationary, grocery, clothes, car maitenance (jiffy lube, Amoco etc, have stepped in) are disappearing.
    It varies in scope but yeah, I notice. In some cities people fight hard on the slogan "shop local" while other places are total khaki corporate copy box shops.
    Jim Crow America relegated Blacks to the back of buses. Israel wants Arabs excluded from the bus entirely.

http://www.bartcop.com/gop-war-on-hellhath.jpg
    Non Alcoholic Beer is like a Vibrator without batteries. Fills you up but without the buzz.

WHOOT! Check it out! Our local movement is a beautiful rockin' thing!

People United is an affinity group of local Eugene and Springfield citizens who have gathered to organize a free event called "People United: More Than A March." This event is scheduled for Saturday, February 25th and will begin with a rally at the Wayne Morse Free Speech Plaza at 8th & Oak Street at 11 am. There will be a rally, live music, and other entertainment before we set out to parade through town in celebration of our community. We have been working for the past several months with different groups in our area, including Occupy Eugene, to organize this event. Our goal is, essentially, twofold.

First, we are gathering to celebrate human personhood. We are gathering in a gesture of solidarity as individuals in our diverse community to make a clear statement that Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling and the legal fiction of corporate personhood are unacceptable. We are gathering to make it very clear to all elected officials that personhood is for people. In order to punctuate this point, we are asking participants to bring a simple sign that reads: "My Name Is (write name) And I Am A Person." Several sign making stations will also be set up during the rally.

Second, we are rallying together to establish a moment in time and space where we are able to set aside our different political leanings, worldviews, or ideas about effective tactics or strategies for change, in order to focus upon our nearly universal agreement that our democracy has been watered down by corrupt relationships between corporations and our government and that we all desire a more level playing field for all. We are gathering because this is what democracy looks like in this day and age where most feel disempowered and we are only able to make a statement through our relationships with each other. In this light, we are gathering to celebrate the incredible community that we share and the power that we have when we are able to act interdependently.

We at People United are working in collaboration with Occupy Eugene, Empowering the 99%, the Oregon Country Fair, and other local businesses and organizations, and we would like to invite you to join us in this effort. This event was originally constructed as a march, but has grown into much more. Several local groups will be participating by carrying banners of their own while marching with the rest of the community. We invite you to join us -- either as individuals or as a group -- as we celebrate together.

Please join us after People United for the Occupy Oregon Statewide Assembly from 3-6pm at Occupy V (1274 W. 7th Avenue in Eugene). Food and music will follow the assembly. Hope to see you there!
    "The Alice-in-Wonderland nature of this pronouncement is not lost on me..."

Also:

Activist Post reports:

Occupy and Tea Party Join Forces to Defeat Unconstitutional NDAA

In what many activists have been hoping to see for quite a while, it appears that some in the Occupy movement and the Tea Party have finally found a bit of common ground.

Although, over the past year we have seen increasing hostility between the two organizations, loose as they may be, the action in Medford Oregon between Occupy Medford and WakeUp America Southern Oregon, (a group of Conservatives, Libertarians, and Tea Party members) just might the start of a building of bridges over the fault lines between the two movements created by the establishment political system and the mainstream media...
    Story continues a bit about the provisions in the NDAA they are protesting and why.

...Due to its blatantly fascist and unconstitutional makeup, the NDAA has faced opposition from both the left and the right; Tea Partiers and Occupiers.

As a result, organizations in Southern Oregon – Occupy Medford, Occupy Southern Oregon, and WakeUp America Southern Oregon – put their differences aside, banded together, and held a joint demonstration on February 14, at Vogel Plaza in Medford, Oregon in order protest the NDAA and its destruction of the Constitution and basic human rights...
    Whoot! Brains over Blind and Divisive Party Affiliation, rock on!

I hope I remember to share with you guys the topless protest by the Vagilutionaries in Eugene last weekend. The pictures and notes are not with me atm.

But for now, just found this over at Common Dreams. Whoot!

Occupy Movement Targets Corporate Interest Group with Ties to Legislators
    American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) will face ire of the 99%

A coalition of Occupy groups, led by Occupy Portland in Oregon, is calling on people "to target corporations that are part of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)" with direct actions and public events later this month. The Occupy groups, organizing under the banner Shut Down the Corporations, sees ALEC as the "prime example of the way corporations buy off legislators and craft legislation that serves the interests of corporations and not people." ALEC was instrumental in creating the anti-labor legislation in Wisconsin last year and the racist bill SB 1070 in Arizona, among many other measures pushed or passed in state houses across the country. ALEC uses its large coffers and wealthy membership to spread free-market, corporate-friendly laws around the country...
    Read on for more details. Day of Action, February 29th.

And more on ALEC- ALEC Exposed.

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madr...urn-their-body

Oakland PD 'Forgetting' To Turn On Their Body-Mounted Cameras
    Relations between Oakland police and the city’s residents have never been good, which is one reason why the department issued body-mounted cameras to its officers last year.

The goal was to increase accountability, which is important for a department that is facing afederal takeover this March.

However, the above video, which shows several officers with their body-mounted cameras turned off – a departmental violation - is just the latest example of Oakland police officers not wanting any accountability.The video is also a clear demonstration of just how high tensions are between Oakland police and citizens.

The video was produced by Jacob Crawford and journalist Ali Winston from footage obtained during the January 28th demonstration that included activists attempting to break into city hall.

“When the cameras are turned on, you see a green light,” said Crawford, a longtime Cop Watch activist whom I wrote about in 2010 after he was assaulted for attempting to video record a cop.“When the cameras are turned off, they just look like a pager.”
    No way of keeping them from beating people to death because the press can't record, the citizen can't record, and they turn their cameras off.

Last edited by GamerGal; Feb 23rd, 2012 at 1:29 AM.
    Non Alcoholic Beer is like a Vibrator without batteries. Fills you up but without the buzz.

Bank Robber Contributor Tsunami's Avatar
    Occupy London update;

Police and bailiffs evicted Occupy London protesters and removed tents just after midnight.

But hours later many could be seen in Finsbury Square, on the northern edge of the financial district.
    They seem to still be going stong. Heh heh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17195007

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    The thing is the yanks are loosing their country, they do not know exactly how or why but they see their nation slipping through their fingers.

Their patriotism is under attack,

Their heritage is under attack

Their constitution is under attack

Their freedoms are under attack.

Their government is turning third world dictatorship on them

They are being pitted against each other

In fact they seem to not actually know exactly who their president is anymore.

Their main industries have been exported to cheaper labour markets but their costs of living keeps on climbing.

Their national dept is higher than any countries dept in all recorded history but all the money seems to have been siphoned into a black hole, they can never get out from under it.

Their youth has been corrupted

Their moral compass has been corrupted

Their press has been corrupted.

Their financial institutions have been corrupted.

The speed at which all the ducks have been lined up is staggering, even the old Roman empire never went this fast
    When you put your faith in the anti Christ's this is what happens. If you put your faith in me those things would never happen. Thats a promise only I can make.

Karma caster Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerGal View Post

No way of keeping them from beating people to death because the press can't record, the citizen can't record, and they turn their cameras off.
    That is called a police state dictatorship.

Sadly you live in one. I know because I live here too.
    Jim Crow America relegated Blacks to the back of buses. Israel wants Arabs excluded from the bus entirely.

I'm pretty excited to see Occupy waking up for Spring in our area! Occupy here just sponsored an event to discuss non-violent direct action" and in the invitation to the community, encouraged people of all political leanings to come out, ask questions, give input. I missed it, having learned about it after the fact, but read there there was good turnout. There have also been protests at the Bank of America. Interestingly, I read the local paper almost everyday, but not once did I read about the recent BoA protests. I had to learn that from the 'net.

In Eugene, I see the Occupy people are waking up too, stretching from a long cold winter of being under wraps. I understand they are still helping to feed the homeless and provide some measure of health care for the needy, and apparently Occupy the Trees is on for this weekend.

p.s.
    Found this later.
    Common Dreams
    Occupy Unveils Spring Awakening
    Last edited by Nu Kua; Apr 18th, 2012 at 1:51 AM.

Karma caster Contributor
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/amer...all-taxes-2010

About Us
    Resources
    Send Tips
    Donate
    RSS

CNSNews.TV
    On the Spot
    On the Scene
    The Schein
    OTJ
    Golden Hookah

Home » News
    Americans Making Over $50,000 a Year Paid 93.3 Percent of All Taxes in 2010

(CNSNews.com) – Americans making over $50,000 paid most of the federal taxes that were paid in the U.S. in 2010.

According to statistics compiled from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by the Tax Foundation, those people making above $50,000 had an effective tax rate of 14.1 percent, and carried 93.3 percent of the total tax burden.

In contrast, Americans making less than $50,000 had an effective tax rate of 3.5 percent and their total share of the tax burden was just 6.7 percent.

Americans making more than $250,000 had an effective tax rate of 23.4 percent and their total share of the tax burden was 45.7 percent.
    More at source.

Occupy Talks: Indigenous Perspectives on the Occupy Movement - Tom B.K. Goldtooth

Great talk! I'm getting fired up again. The robins were singing well before daybreak "Occupy, Occupy... now is the time. Wake up! Wake up! Daybreak is soon upon us."

Planned Occupy of the NATO-G8 Conference in Chicago- more information here, Natoprotest.org

This May, the military, financial and political leaders who serve the 1% domestically and abroad will meet in Chicago to scheme on behalf of the elites they serve. The rest of us -- the 99% forced to bankroll these elites’ agendas – have NOT been invited.

At the behest of the White House, Chicago agreed to host two international summits from May 19-21 at McCormick Place: NATO, the 28-nation, U.S.-commanded and largely U.S.-financed North Atlantic Treaty Organization; and the G8, a forum for the governments of eight of the world's largest economies -- France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada and Russia.

While the Obama administration decided to 'move' the G8 meeting to secluded -- and barricaded -- Camp David in March, these meetings remain deeply entwined. These same G8 ‘leaders’ are imposing harsh austerity measures on working people across the planet, from Spain and Greece to Egypt and the United States. Their agenda? To expand the neoliberal assault on economic and social safety nets, public health care and public education, the right to collectively bargain – anything that might impede big corporations’ ability to maximize profits at the expense of the rest of us.

Those corporate interests have a military wing, too: NATO, which is bankrolled largely by G8 dollars, particularly U.S. taxpayers. NATO’s military muscle imposes the G8 agenda – from Iraq and Afghanistan to North Africa and Iran. The beneficiaries? Big corporations that can access the oil and mineral wealth of nations like Iraq and Libya. The losers are inevitably ordinary people in these countries, who are bombed, starved, maimed and murdered as part of NATO military campaigns.

This May, thousands of people will gather in Chicago -- and wherever the NATO/G8 elites meet -- to oppose the tyranny of the banks and the corporate elites – to oppose the corporate war on our wages, our homes, our health care, our education and our right to speak out and protest. In meetings, marches, teach-ins, pickets, protests – the host of ways people organize – we’re gathering this spring to oppose the 1% agenda at home and abroad, and to affirm that another world is possible.

We are uninvited, but we will not be dispossessed. Join us.

More info here.

Looks like lots of stuff has been going on in Chicago.

For obvious reasons, most occupy sites across the country are planning for gathering, protests, and actions on May Day- May 1.
    Occupy Oakland is one of them.

More info at Occupy Together

Statement posted on the Facebook page:

We can tell you that May 1st is International Workers Day. We can tell you that in some countries it’s a public holiday to commemorate the historic gains made by the Labor movement. We can tell you that in Los Angeles, May 1st is traditionally a day to celebrate and make a stand for immigrant rights.

But only you can tell us what you’re striking for on May 1st, 2012.

Because the May 1st General Strike is about you. It’s about the debt imposed on you for daring to dream about a college education. It’s about the healthcare you can’t afford, the family member with a disease which goes untreated because they lack insurance. It’s about your car that got repo-ed after you lost your job. It’s about your home that got foreclosed on when the bank went bust. It’s about your family, who came here for a better future, and got lost in the broken immigration system, and found that they’re denied access to legal work, education and security because they’re undocumented. It’s about you, the gay kid who gets bullied at school, and will grow up in a country which denies you equality and humanity, simply because you love someone of the same gender. It’s about the fact there’s no jobs, even if you got that college education and those grades. It’s about the single mother who struggles to support her kids on minimum wage - which is not a living wage. It’s about the woman who makes it through Harvard, works her ass off in one of the best law firms in the country, and constantly loses out on that promotion because she’s not a man. It’s about the homeless African-American guy who lives on Skid Row and gets thrown in jail for peeing in a park, because there are no toilet facilities on the street for those like him. It’s about the protestor who gets beaten and thrown in jail for holding a sign in a public space which says he’s had enough. It’s about the farmer who’s had to leave his home and work, because the state raised his land tax. It’s about the father who loses a son to a pointless war over oil in a foreign land.

It’s about the fact this is not the America we were brought up to believe in.

M1GS.

Fuck the American Dream. Make America a Reality.

May Day- Occupy the London Stock Exchange

OCCUPY MAY DAY 2012!

Oh-oh... the Cleveland bridge-busting plot tied-to, well...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...ovement-758348

No leader, no structure, no focus; a recipe to be manipulated and infiltrated. I'd like to see what'd happen if a bunch of people occupied Hollywood, demanding to be given movie-parts over established stars.

Prepared survivor Seasoned Member sweetvelocity's Avatar
    I kinda seen this coming. I know what the message is supposed to be but i think there are so many things going on with this group that it's coming apart at the seams. In all honesty I think that law enforcement is infiltrating and some people are being organized and paid to cause havoc.
    " Flags are bits of colored cloth that governments use first to shrink-wrap people's brains and then as ceremonial shrouds to bury the dead." Arundhati Roy

Didn't I hear about some female LAPD officer getting hit in the head with a skateboard?

Oh, yeah...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...rontation.html

So at the colleges they put the girls on the frontlines of the protest to get maced and then the Occupy Boys are sent by the queen bee to assault vulnerable female officers with their little bitchboards...

Gotta love those little chickenshit "wiberaw" males.

Thank god for their typically low sperm counts!!!
    http://remyvanruiten.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/logo1.jpg

"...some parts of his work are half-finished, while other parts make a strange medley."...;)...

^^^Interesting.

*editing to add the Raw Story report on this, as it is a good summary of the vid, and I know some folks don't want to spend 30 minutes watching a doc, but it is a very good doc.

Occupy activists: Minneapolis police got us ‘high as f*ck’ for training

...An activist named Panda told filmmakers that after getting stoned in front of police, they asked him if he wanted to smoke even more.

“I stopped in my tracks, said ‘yes,’ and then I smoked with a cop,” he recalled, adding it was “some of the best shit I’ve had in a while.” On the way back from the testing facility, Panda said officers bought him a double cheeseburger from McDonald’s.

Later Panda explained that officers had offered him “a quarter more” of marijuana if he would become an “informant” to snitch on other Occupy protesters. ...
    Parents have called in to complain that their kids came home higher than kites and with weed supplied to them by the cops, some of whom smoked it with them, too.

So- having been totally out of touch, I was TOTALLY STOKED the other day, May 1, when driving downtown Coos Bay, to see not the usual 9 or 10 citizens protesting at the boardwalk, but at least 50! What great energy! WTH didn't I think of going to the boardwalk on the 1st? Well I have been very busy rearranging my life.

But anyway- since then I've learned Occupy Coos Bay has become quite active. the "local project" here is to try to stop the sale of our land to private companies who want to exploit it in order to make a fast buck and then move on.

As for the May Day protests around the country- police came out in full riot gear looking for a fight, as per usual. Occupy does not support violent nor destructive actions against The People- so you two guys can stuff that bullshit where the sun doesn't shine. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Reef

No leader, no structure, no focus; a recipe to be manipulated and infiltrated. I'd like to see what'd happen if a bunch of people occupied Hollywood, demanding to be given movie-parts over established stars.

Yep, our Trusted Authorities... and just in time for the May Day protests- yet another sting op, created and crafted by the FBI, this time making sure to use people who happened to show up to a few Occupy Cleveland events.
    And so fucking transparent to try to associate Occupy Movement with that ridiculous bullshit. Kinda like 9-11, Iraq, WMD's.
    Just like example after example such as posted in the Lone Wolves thread- half these almost-false-flags are sheer Hollywood enough.

I guess this cop was swinging that bat with such gusto because he was afraid of getting shot by the photographers?

Oh- btw-
    Restricted U.S. Army Internment and Resettlement Operations Manual

More on how that applies later- but maybe ya want to scroll on down to 2.39.

More later.
    Last edited by Nu Kua; May 4th, 2012 at 9:48 AM.

Occupy Sandy: A Human Response to the New Realities of Climate Change

24 minute documentary, a beautiful story of people directly helping people. <3

Which counter-intuitively has lead to... (another location)

NYC Threatens Imminent Eviction Of 24/7 Sandy Relief Hub

The community-run network of support for food, volunteering, supplies, clothing, and human services is an essential part of the New York City recovery efforts, and the mayor’s office wants to shut it down immediately. The mayor’s office is calling upon local police forces to “clear all outdoor sites” effective immediately. We are calling on all New Yorkers to advocate on behalf of these community run hubs that provide essential services to those whom the city and federal government, and support agencies, have under-served, neglected, or abandoned.

We call on the city, service organizations and police to support these crucial hubs by maintain location and services to community, offering tents, generators, and storage pods for supplies or finding free, nearby, and feasible medium to long term spaces where hubs can operate.

This Friday morning Staten Island police representing the mayor’s office have threatened eviction action against the crucial Staten Island hub at 489 Midland Avenue, in the heavily hit Midland Beach area. Aiman Youssef, a 42-year-old Syrian-American Staten Islander whose house was destroyed in the hurricane, has been running a 24/7 community pop up hub outside his property at 489 Midland Avenue since the day after the storm. He and a coalition of neighbors, friends and community members are serving hot food and offering cleaning supplies, non-perishables, medical supplies, and clothing to the thousands of residents who are still without heat, power, or safe housing. This popular hub is well-run, well-staffed, and has a constant hum of discussion, support, and advice as well as donations and pick ups and volunteer dispatch through another pop-up group, volunteers who call themselves “The Yellow Team.”

At the standing-room only Town Hall meeting at Staten Island’s New Dorp High School last night, Youssef was the first to raise his voice in the question and answer period. The community’s expression of extreme need and frustration with the lack of official support made for a contentious environment where city government officials offered few solutions. At one point borough president James Molinaro asked the audience “You wanna shut your mouth?” due to their increasingly loud demands for community support and housing solutions.

We ask all New Yorkers and Sandy supporters worldwide to not heed Molinaro’s demand, but to speak out as Youssef did. Ask the mayor’s office to support, not evict, the well-run community support hubs giving crucial services to New Yorkers in need.
    Last edited by Nu Kua; Dec 1st, 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Karma caster Contributor
    Unbelievable.

Mr. Molinaro is asking for severe trouble from people who have little to nothing to lose.

Shame on him for inviting his doom at there hands.

I should've posted my prediction several weeks ago, when I sensed the buildup of hot air from the New York City Government and FEMA... 'It won't be long long before the victims of Sandy become the villains, as the media begins a strategy of providing suitable cover for Bloomberg and Obama'.
    " Take Badlaw's body out to the gold-mine 'n toss it down a shaft. "

Common Dreams has already summed this up with links to source and the whole nine. Occupy has resulted in some changes to many communities, and the people are still active- though maybe not on The News. :-)

In the first jury trial stemming from Occupy Wall Street protests, activist and community organizer Michael Premo was found innocent of all charges after his lawyers presented video evidence that directly contradicted the story told by police and prosecutors. Premo was facing felony charges of assaulting an officer during a demonstration in Lower Manhattan that also drew clergymen. Police said he tackled officers as they were kettling protesters, but unearthed video from Democracy Now showed that in fact police threw him down to the ground. Lesson of the day: Keep filming.

Also: Occupy the SEC has filed a lawsuit against procrastinating bank regulators to get the Volcker rule, which would rein in Wall Street, in place.

Finally somebody has the balls to take the Banksters to task.

next to a volcano near a subduction zone fault line by the ocean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef Badlaw View Post

What?!? You've never heard of Reality TV"?
    "The problem with the world is the intelligent are full of doubts while the stupid are full of confidence." - Bukowski

Thread Information