Thread: Less self control and more hopelessness....the fall of independence

Dead Meat

Less self control and more hopelessness....the fall of independence

Disable These Ads!
    Why is it that when we sit and stare at a Television set, we often times don't even pay attention to what's on the screen?

How many times have you found yourself....unaware of your surroundings; unable to hear anyone or anything for hours, distracted by the everyday occurrence of technology that beckons our every thought and feeling throughout the day; and yet the subtle hiss of a vibrating text message, or the wailing of an over-elaborated ringtone can have us running, diving, sitting on our knees for the first bit of human contact we've probably had since coming home from work that day.

Social distortion be damned....

This is America damn it. We eat, sleep, and breathe technology (that is as long as the Chinese keep feeding it to us).

Our culture is predicated on the assumption, consumption, and devotion to and of one thing....distractions. We distract ourselves from our lives, our kids, our jobs, and our bills. We ignore the wars going on in the world just to sit blindly for a few more moments of self indulgent, mindless dribble coming out from the finely cut piece of pixelized crystal that stand there before us....

Now I don't want you to get me wrong, or to think of my ramblings as a sort of "cry out" for help, or a needless way of saying we need to "fight the power" or "anti establishment" this, and "anti establishment that," no, the world is doing just fine on it's own; promoting self indulgence, ignorance and hatred toward one another, and to win at all costs (even if it means stabbing one man in the back while you defile his wife in front of his kids), a tad extreme for a play on words? Perhaps. But we do it everyday ourselves.

America as we know it is dying. I'm sorry to say, but it's true.

No longer can an honest man prosper. For in a world so filled with darkness in a sea of hate, a brighter being beckons. Aliens? UFO's? No, this isn't that kind of column.

I'm referring to the biggest distraction of all.....the sun. Because if you believe half of what you're being told, you may as well take the shades off your eyes and burn 'em with the sun.

That's it.....burn your eyes out and just walk away.....

We are in a state of depression: Yet ask our President, ask both sides to tell us what's wrong and you'll get the same answers. With about 10 or 15 different ways of saying it.

We are a nation on the verge of Nuclear war with Lybia (who could allign themselves with Iran, Russia, or even worse yet, China), but you can rest assured that Jersey Shore will be on with a new episode and a few more mindless plots and twists to take your attention off of what's going on.

We lost our independence back in 2001 when our leaders decided it would be a good idea to portray us as the victims, while letting the "villains" get away with what they had done.

A little history lesson for those who were too busy figuring out if Snookie's dating the Situation or not.....

The WTC (World Trade Center) buildings were hit on Sept 11th 2001. I was 14, and I can still recall my mother asking me when I came home from school "why baseball cards were so important on a day like today?" I'll get back to that in a minute, because it's the closing point I'd like to make.

Terrorists had hijacked (successfully) four different planes coming out of Boston....

In total there were over 2,996 deaths on 9/11....and no one was crying that day. They were all too busy brushing the dirt from their eyes, and wondering if this was all a dream, or some sick twisted smack back into reality.

The world was never the same after that day. How could it be? We were once a nation that was fixated on the common belief and apparent misconception that everything would be "alriiiiiiiiiiight" as long as we worked hard, loved our families, and pledged allegiance to America, under god, with liberty and justice for all who accept it....under those rules/guidelines.

But there were no happy distractions for those families that year; the victims of that tragedy were left without mommies and daddies to coddle them, and play with them, to give them what's essential to every living, breathing thing....love.

So distractions be dammed I can understand it....

Alas, I too have fallen victim to it at times. Why? Because we're in a world that's dying. We're in a world that lacks the peace and trust of it's fellow man to allow a burning desire for more to try and flourish before it is soon diminished.

So we turn to Jersey Shore, we turn to Make a Deal...

We turn to video games, and Football, whiskey or beer, to make our lives seem bearable.

When does it end? When does society realize where it's headed before it breaks itself in half only to be viewed billions of years from now as some cruel sitcom or sorts; by beings (who may exist) on some far away plane....

I mentioned earlier that the day the 9/11 attacks took place, my mother had asked me why I felt it was so important to go out to Benny's and get some baseball cards....

Why on this day of all days in my tiny little neighborhood in Norwich, CT (2 hours away from NYC mind you and only minutes away from the Groton Naval Base which was on high alert), why in the hell did I want to travel 20 minutes to get a pack of baseball cards.

Because I wanted a distraction....

I had watched the second plane hit while in my science class as a freshman in high school. I remember the horror on the faces on the people around the crash sites on television, the screams and panic, of everyone at my school.

So I wanted to gather my thoughts at 14, and get something to remind me of my youth. Because I knew, I would never be the same again after that day. That America, would never be the same after that day.

I grabbed my baseball glove, gathered my friends, and played catch until the sun went down; probably did that all that fall too.

Distractions aren't the problem; it's the lack of attention to your surroundings that creates what we have in society today. Maybe we can be saved. Or maybe the shell is too broken to be mended...

But then again....

Maybe if we could turn the volume down a few more notches, go for a few more walks now and then with our family and friends, and listen....yes, just listen to what's going on in the world; well maybe then we can do something about it.

Change comes from within, and the only way to find inner peace is to change the world around you. You can't do that if have too many distractions, and they can't stand it when we don't have distractions.

Because after all. When the nukes are dropped and we're busy on youtube, they'll be busy hiding underground, just watching, and laughing....as the world goes to squat.

Think....Act....Love

It's all we can do to survive....

Where has my America gone.................

LOOSE CANNON Contributor Waymarker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcomic View Post
    ..the only way to find inner peace is to change the world around you...
    2 billion Christians would disagree with you mate because a central theme of Christianity is to REJECT the world..;)
    Letting yourself get sucked into the world is a big no-no or you end up half-paranoid and neurotic..
    I rejected the world in my mid-teens many years ago and have had inner peace ever since..:)

i rule, u serve dinner tahn1000's Avatar
    christ himself promoted self love and self worth, and that respect for others hinged on your capacity to respect yourself. he urged that what you DO is more important than what you think (or believe). he taught that people are judged for the their DEEDS.

so 2 billion "christians" also disagree with christ.
    "your god is not mine (john 8:37-40)"
    knowledge is wasted on the ignorant

LOOSE CANNON Contributor Waymarker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tahn1000 View Post
    ..he urged that what you DO is more important than what you think (or believe). he taught that people are judged for the their DEEDS.
    The deed that counts way above all others is this one-
    Jesus said - "The work God requires is to believe in the one he has sent" (John 6:28 )
    so in that respect atheists and nonchristians have failed miserably, and any other deeds they do will count for zilch...;)

Atheists and nonchristians might like to think deeds alone will get them through the pearlies, but because they're not Christians the only words they'll be hearing from Peter are- "On yer bikes!"

Lucky survivor Seasoned Member LoudAmerican's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcomic View Post
    Why is it that when we sit and stare at a Television set, we often times don't even pay attention to what's on the screen?

How many times have you found yourself....unaware of your surroundings; unable to hear anyone or anything for hours, distracted by the everyday occurrence of technology that beckons our every thought and feeling throughout the day; and yet the subtle hiss of a vibrating text message, or the wailing of an over-elaborated ringtone can have us running, diving, sitting on our knees for the first bit of human contact we've probably had since coming home from work that day.

Social distortion be damned....

(DELETED TO SHORTEN POST)
    Where has my America gone.................
    Wow ... interesting diatribe ... however ... it's a meager fraction of the cause.

We have fallen for techno junk because we are no longer united as a people

We have been divided and conquered by extreme defiance toward the opposition and the rights and entitlement to over extend our right to smack the other side in the head verbally and in too many cases ... literally.
    One Day People Will Learn
    That Entitlement And Morals Are Not Synonymous With Each Other and It's SPELLED JUSTICE - Not JUST US!

i rule, u serve dinner tahn1000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waymarker View Post
    The deed that counts way above all others is this one-
    Jesus said - "The work God requires is to believe in the one he has sent" (John 6:28 )
    so in that respect atheists and nonchristians have failed miserably, and any other deeds they do will count for zilch...;)

Atheists and nonchristians might like to think deeds alone will get them through the pearlies, but because they're not Christians the only words they'll be hearing from Peter are- "On yer bikes!"
    Joh:6:28: Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
    Joh:6:29: Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

believe on christ, not god. and atheists CAN (and do) believe in christ. and be inspired to do good works by him WITHOUT BELIEVING IN GOD. EVERYONE, whether religously inclined or not, can do things which are "good" or "wrong" to one another and everybody faces the same judgement in the end.

as it is written in revelation...

Re:20:12: And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    Re:20:13: And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

WORKS, PLURAL - as in all you do, without condition and without exception, EVERYTHING.
    "your god is not mine (john 8:37-40)"
    knowledge is wasted on the ignorant

Thread Information