Thread: A study in time

Launchin' Nukes at Noobs Contributor palerider's Avatar

A study in time

Disable These Ads!
    Ok guys....there has been a lot of higher level physics discussed on here.....and I for one thought I had understood it....but 20 years after having spent time studying an engineering degree I have to say I missed the point....lol...not of the application of physics to engineering but....the pure physics.

So...in this thread I hope you wil join me in a debate to both aid your understanding and mine of the basic principles that underpin our physical world.

Like you I have decided to re-discover my understanding of motion, energy and the bigger ideas around quanta.....so I have to ask is anyone up for a basic understanding of the physics that we take for granted??
    "Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe." -Albert Einstein [1879-1955]

Loser of pens Contributor Vuall's Avatar
    Tell me what you want to know and I'll fill you in dude.
    "I see no God up here"
    Yuri Gagarin 1961.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuall View Post
    Tell me what you want to know and I'll fill you in dude.
    Ok firstly I want to know your take on uniform motion...wots your understanding of it?
    "Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe." -Albert Einstein [1879-1955]

Loser of pens Contributor Vuall's Avatar
    well it depends if you mean linear or circular, but both are relative to the point of the observer.

But basically it means that the motion has no forces acting on it. it doesn't accelerate or decelerate, it's direction is constant.

Circular constant motion is something other.

Einstein did some stuff on it being relative.

I find the other kind of uniform motion more interesting however. There is this cute little traffic warden, patrols Harrogate near where I live. I could watch that uniform in motion all day
    "I see no God up here"
    Yuri Gagarin 1961.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuall View Post
    well it depends if you mean linear or circular, but both are relative to the point of the observer.

But basically it means that the motion has no forces acting on it. it doesn't accelerate or decelerate, it's direction is constant.

Circular constant motion is something other.

Einstein did some stuff on it being relative.

I find the other kind of uniform motion more interesting however. There is this cute little traffic warden, patrols Harrogate near where I live. I could watch that uniform in motion all day
    hang on just stop......motion features in a lot of things....lets just focus on one aspect of motion.....lets identify with just a single linear motion [your driving your car at one speed say 40 k/hr down a straight road]

I mean surely this motion......a uniform motion in a straight line for example car driving at the same speed along a straight road....what does that say about the car in motion?

Thread Information