Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet Service & Mbps: The Reality

FlatLiner Contributor DontBeAfraid's Avatar
    Disable These Ads!
    I wish you guys would actually pay attention to the content you post. It's absurd that you stray so far from the topic and then call people Nazis for telling you to stay on topic.
    Posting our bandwidth in a thread ABOUT BANDWIDTH in which the OP POSTED HIS FUCKING BANDWIDTH is off topic? You have lost your fucking mind.

edit: In all seriousness you might have OCD and may need some sort of help getting it under control.
    Last edited by DontBeAfraid; Jul 7th, 2011 at 2:43 AM.
    I aggressively attack stupidity... If you feel I am being aggressive, well....

There is one interesting thing in this and that is a comparison between the different providers. Some companies are better than others.
    Blessings in the name of my Lord Jesus Christ who came in the flesh and now sits at the right hand of our God on high.

A confession of faith that the modern Evangelical movement can no longer make!

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    There is one interesting thing in this and that is a comparison between the different providers. Some companies are better than others.
    Many smaller ISP lease bandwidth from from larger companies and have no control over speed other than what they claim ul/dl to be. They are more bandwidth brokers than true ISP. They pay for a connection, and do none of the maintenance and upkeep themselves. Some don't even have access to setup new accounts they simply forward information to whoever their provider is.

The unfortunate people just about 40 miles south of us are on leased phone lines, and leased internet . The phone lines are on pretty archaic equipment and on the best day are not better than most VOIP on their worst day. The internet is "Wireless" and is basically a central hub and a series of repeaters throughout the town that is leased by a retired electrical engineer and sold to the people in town. Fortunately Hughes has become available and people are starting to wise up and move over. Being a very small town some people won't move over because they don't want to put Ol' Brett out of business. Ol' Brett is making about 3500 a month after paying his provider and the cost of equipment he gives to his customers. Poor Ol' Brett.
    Mr. T made his van go twice the speed of light because he wanted to prove that quantum physics was a bunch of jibba jabba.

Karma caster Contributor
    eww hughs net.

They suck balls.

Before getting huges net we specifically asked if they had caps... we were told no... we asked the installer..he said no... we got online...for about 20 minutes...thats how long it took us to meet our cap and get throttled.

FUCK HUGHS NET!

And often hughs net takes advantage of rural communities working with the local phone companys to keep the infrastructure from being upgraded. We tried going to ATT, cricket, sprint, everyone... we got the same thing every time... local law prevents us from providing service.

Yet If I had used cricket in Texas and brought it with us to MO that would of been ok ...\

RRRRRRR

Hate those lying fair use POS sacks of bloody fudge.
    Jim Crow America relegated Blacks to the back of buses. Israel wants Arabs excluded from the bus entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by DontBeAfraid View Post
    Posting our bandwidth in a thread ABOUT BANDWIDTH in which the OP POSTED HIS FUCKING BANDWIDTH is off topic? You have lost your fucking mind.

edit: In all seriousness you might have OCD and may need some sort of help getting it under control.
    Be careful DBA, he might get CDO(alphebetical order damn it) on your ass.
    http://www.bartcop.com/gop-war-on-hellhath.jpg
    Non Alcoholic Beer is like a Vibrator without batteries. Fills you up but without the buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch View Post
    eww hughs net.

They suck balls.
    Sweaty boil covered crab infested bleeding syphilitic balls, yeah. but at least theses people get an alternative. With what most of them do they rarely hit the cap and at least get better speed for the money.
    Mr. T made his van go twice the speed of light because he wanted to prove that quantum physics was a bunch of jibba jabba.

Local Pedant Contributor lazserus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DontBeAfraid View Post
    And what's funny is you quoted me telling you to read, something you either didn't do or ignored to mention. I originally posted mine because it was requested, but I deleted it (and my original post was left intact) while still staying on topic. I don't have that card, so go fish. ;)

Again, this thread isn't about YOUR bandwidth, or Anarch's, or even mine. It's about providers and how they bait and switch customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid1 View Post
    Many smaller ISP lease bandwidth from from larger companies and have no control over speed other than what they claim ul/dl to be. They are more bandwidth brokers than true ISP. They pay for a connection, and do none of the maintenance and upkeep themselves. Some don't even have access to setup new accounts they simply forward information to whoever their provider is.
    Oh, this is certainly true these days. Most local yokal providers do just this, like a local company piggy-backing on bottled water to earn a buck. The big wigs, though, like Comcast, are in control. There's not a huge difference between this and how cellular or power companies function. Teddy Roosevelt, the monopoly buster, would be sorely disappointed with today's economics.

The unfortunate people just about 40 miles south of us are on leased phone lines, and leased internet . The phone lines are on pretty archaic equipment and on the best day are not better than most VOIP on their worst day.
    I won't stray too far from the topic by acknowledging this, but I used to work for a national telephone conglomerate, and I learned a lot of little nasty tricks of the trade. The lines themselves are probably fine unless they've been flooded. It's all copper wiring, so with proper shielding and little moisture (avoiding rust), any telephone line is perfectly operational and can deliver the maximum speed for DSL permitted by the provider. Junction boxes and the likes, however, can slow down progress when dealing with copper wiring. When I worked for this communications conglomerate I spoke with a number of employees in the DSL department talking about having to replace this type of equipment.

The copper wire, as long as it is not corroded, is intrinsically optimized to handle whatever form of communication at its optimal speed. Based on copper's limitations, that is. It's the nodes, the box, panels, whatever between each line and reaching to the server that may need upgrading.

The internet is "Wireless" and is basically a central hub and a series of repeaters throughout the town that is leased by a retired electrical engineer and sold to the people in town. Fortunately Hughes has become available and people are starting to wise up and move over. Being a very small town some people won't move over because they don't want to put Ol' Brett out of business. Ol' Brett is making about 3500 a month after paying his provider and the cost of equipment he gives to his customers. Poor Ol' Brett.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarch
    eww hughs net.

They suck balls.
    Wireless internet (as in getting your internet from a wireless connection, not like wireless networking in the home) has always been expensive, and not much has changed in the last ten years. HughsNet works but economically it's a joke. Not only does HughsNet play on the same ignorance of customers as every other ISP, it makes matters worse by price-gouging. Unfortunately, even though the technology has existed since the 1990s, HughsNet is banking on customer desperation and ignorance. More sad is they don't have any real competitors, meaning they can basically charge whatever they want and get away with it.

But let's give HughsNet a little attention, and expose them for being complete asshats.

The top HughsNet residential service package offers 2.0 Mbps downstream and 300 Kbps upstream at $89.99 per month. For a moment we'll ignore the fact this bandwidth is wireless and all the other factors involved with up/down streams, and we'll break down the meaning of each.

• HughsNet: 2.0 Mbps downstream = 256 kilobytes download maximum per second at $90/month.

• My Crap: 5.0 Mbps downstream = 640 kilobytes download maximum per second at $30/month.

• Vuall: 20 Mbps downstream = 2.5 megabytes/2560 kilobytes download maximum per second at roughly $10/month.

With the two examples following HughsNet, one mine in Texas and the other Vuall's in the U.K., we can certainly see the extremes HughsNet is charging for streams not too far better than the first ISDN and ADSL speeds in the 1990s.

But wait...there's more.

About their bandwidth, HughsNet's top residential package at 2.0 Mbps down and 300 Kbps up at an excruciating $90/month is still stunted by their bandwidth limitation per account. So even after paying a ridiculous monthly fee for a decade-old downstream, you get a 400MB cap per day! This means you can only download and/or upload 400 megabytes in a 24-hour period. Your service won't be shut off if you exceed, instead you'll get throttled - meaning your download speeds will probably slow to meet dial-up - and you will be charged tons of money per megabyte transferred within that period AFTER you've reached the 400MB mark.

400 megabyte cap per day, on top of your shitty bandwidth at $90/month!!! This means if you purchased a game off the STEAM network you would have to either download it over two days (while doing nothing else online) or pay a fee to HughsNet for going over your 400MB cap. The average PC game these days is roughly 1.2 gigabytes in size COMPRESSED.

Not only does HughsNet charge an absurdly high rate for its archaic streams, you have to pay equipment and installation fees. Right now they claim standard installation is free, but they don't tell you that the equipment may cost you $600.

When it comes to internet, HughsNet is the Devil.

Karma caster Contributor
    you do know hughs net is satellite internet right.

as in Not cell based....you knew that right?

also laz, your speed was

1.86 mbs download and 0.25 upload with a 26 ms ping.

Suddenlink does you dirty. Switch to a better provider.
    Jim Crow America relegated Blacks to the back of buses. Israel wants Arabs excluded from the bus entirely.

FlatLiner Contributor DontBeAfraid's Avatar
    I originally posted mine because it was requested, but I deleted it
    after being called out for being a douche bag hypocrite.

(and my original post was left intact) while still staying on topic.
    It wasnt off topic to begin with so eat it.

I don't have that card, so go fish. ;)
    The clever retort card?

Off topic: are you a control freak in real life?

edit: laz, why did you edit your post in such a way that it does not mention that you changed it? Rewriting history again?
    I aggressively attack stupidity... If you feel I am being aggressive, well....

Local Pedant Contributor lazserus's Avatar
    you do know hughs net is satellite internet right.

as in Not cell based....you knew that right?
    Yes, I am quite aware of this. And the satellite internet is their biggest selling point, even though their actual offers are shite and overpriced.

also laz, your speed was

1.86 mbs download and 0.25 upload with a 26 ms ping.

Suddenlink does you dirty. Switch to a better provider.
    Yes, that is what I posted (and deleted). And I am well aware that my provider offers me shite bandwidth. Strangely I feel as if you kinda care....I think we should hug.

No, but seriously, my provider offers shitty streams and I know it. I unfortunately don't live in an area wherein I have the luxury to pick and choose. I assure you what I have is better than what I had before. And at least I'm not selling my fingers or children for HughsNet and it's bullshit bandwidth.
    Last edited by lazserus; Jul 11th, 2011 at 3:47 PM. Reason: fixed a broken quote link

Karma caster Contributor
    IF you want to hug dude.... maybe mod less and admin more.

I mean that.

Your style is out there.

Thread Information