Thread: Giant iceberg could change weather patterns

Radioactive Contributor Manticore's Avatar

Giant iceberg could change weather patterns

Disable These Ads!
    How long have these types of things been happening? .....is it only now we are starting to join the dots on a few of these mysteries?

AN iceberg the size of Luxembourg knocked loose from the Antarctic continent earlier this month could disrupt the ocean currents driving weather patterns around the globe, researchers said.
    While the impact would not be felt for decades or longer, a slowdown in the production of colder, dense water could result in less temperate winters in the north Atlantic, they said.

The 2550 sq km block broke off on February 12 or 13 from the Mertz Glacier Tongue, a 160km spit of floating ice protruding into the Southern Ocean from East Antarctica due south of Melbourne, researchers said.

Some 400m thick, the iceberg could fill Sydney Harbour more than 100 times over.

It could also disturb the area's exceptionally rich biodiversity, including a major colony of emperor penguins near Dumont d'Urville, site of a French scientific station, according to the scientists.

"The ice tongue was almost broken already. It was hanging like a loose tooth,'' French glaciologist Benoit Legresy said.

Mr Legresy has been monitoring the Metz Glacier via satellite images and on the ground for a decade in cooperation with Australian scientists.

The billion-tonne mass was dislodged by another, older iceberg, known as B9B, which split off in 1987.

Jammed against the Antarctic continent for more than 20 years, B9B smashed into the Metz tongue like a slow-motion battering ram after it began to drift.

Both natural cycles and manmade climate change contribute to the collapse ice shelves and glaciers.

Full article here:
    http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225834633227
    Last edited by Manticore; Feb 26th, 2010 at 12:57 AM.

Wow ! Awesome... Is the berg gonna remain rogue ? I can envision different groups climbing-aboard to engage in various nefaria...

Don't get comfortable. Contributor Goldmoon's Avatar
    Its comical how obvious these changes are, but most people will still continue to say that things are as they have been for all of history.

Right now, America is being disarmed. When the people's only concern is feeding their families, and they're even struggling to do that, they are disarmed and vulnerable. And the government didn't even have to fire a bullet.

A big lie isn't going to fix anything, it will just prolong the anticipation, and dull the people out more.

"He who calls on the name of the Lord, shall be saved."

Lucky survivor Seasoned Member JLEE's Avatar

Thumbs down Giant iceberg could changa weather patterns

From what I've seen on Discovery an entire population of penguins was landlocked in Alaska due to a piece of ice the size of Rhode Island smashing into the seabanks. They are the little/fairy penguins. Those that tried to escape fell between the glacier & the seabank and were crushed to death. The remaining penguins succumbed to starvation. This little penguin has reportedly been caught in fishing nets where they're originally from(New Zealand, Tasmania & the Australian coast line) and kept as pets on these vessels until they moved on to colder waters where they have been releasing them. As all penguins they have to get to the sea to eat but, had gone inland to suvive the extreme temperatures. When they tried to escape the impact they were too tiny to get there in time. My husband puts it so well. "well there you go< leave it to the talking monkeys to f... everything up." When are we ever going to get it?

Lepton Boson Muon Guy Contributor Mezurashi's Avatar
    why is it that people assume the Earth is a Static Object?

the very thing that allows life to exist here is the dynamic, ever changing conditions both on local zone scale and global. and the changes occur as a result of the way things are - think of it like a negative feedback loop (the same way your own body regulates your metabolism and stuff).

when Oxygen started becoming a significant component of Earth's atmosphere, a very long time ago, it probably killed off over 99% of the existing life on Earth AT THAT TIME.

when a very large rock slammed into what is today called the Yucatan Peninsula it killed off a very large portion of life on Earth (superheating the entire atmosphere can have that effect).

if things never changed then things would never change ... for Life that is anathema.

the whole point of Life and Living Systems is to oscillate -- and even the suspected 'contribution' of humanity is only a danger to the here and now existing species of life (including us, don't forget). even if we manage to kill ourselves off just let things simmer for a few million years (in human lifespan terms think of that interval as waiting a few days) and soon enough there would be a whole new biosphere of living creatures killing and eating each other and procreating like mad.

just like it's always happened before ...

what we have is the ability to take ourselves far too seriously as a defence mechanism against the neuroses of being faced with how insignificant we still are despite the fancy toys we've made.

(and for the Devout) we stopped blaming God and started blaming Ourselves, how Arrogant is That?
    For every human problem there is an easy and simple answer. And it is always wrong. - H.L. Mencken

I certainly agree with you. I sometimes get worked up over things like the penguins. It is normal to be part of an ever changing system. I do feel bad for the little guys though.

Life is good Contributor Tired Old Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JLEE View Post
    I certainly agree with you. I sometimes get worked up over things like the penguins. It is normal to be part of an ever changing system. I do feel bad for the little guys though.
    I will agree with you Jlee. Unless I get really hungry......hehehe

I'm too lazy to link-trace at the moment, but I think penguins evolved-from a cataclysm that forced them to adapt to ice. Walking upright, their brains/eyesight will eventually evolve-beyond dolphin-like intelligencia...

Earth's history is probably replete with hundreds of 'adorably cute' species'...

I'm surprised no one posted the video of this yet

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    Stop saying: We are not alone. Start asking: WHY ARE THEY HERE? - HindSight

I'm amazed at how this entire site just seems to go in one giant circle. That is to say it's all related. Well duh. Right? Every little aspect though. I was looking at Jonzie's thread on sonic booms earlier. Some of the glacial breakoffs are related to that too. Simple minds amuse simply. I'm sooooo tired. How's that tsunami coming anyhow? Anyone know?

Go check out Raptor's post or turn on a radio. Japan also was just hit, 6.3 I think. Chile and Peru are in trouble.
    Stop saying: We are not alone. Start asking: WHY ARE THEY HERE? - HindSight

I wonder what the curious odds are, that [a single day after] we receive news that a giant iceberg the size of Luxembourg, had broken off the [Antarctic ice sheet,] a killer tsunami and the 7th largest earthquake in recorded history, occurred?

Probably just another annoying coincidence ....

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor Witness View Post
    [Feb 18th, 2010, 2:21 AM]

I'm not worried about Yellowstone per se right now, but it seems to be a pulse for the North American plate, and perhaps the earth generally.

I'm not a scientist, but I have some luck predicting the ["Big Ones"]

If you live anywhere near an active fault system, I would advise you to move to the more stable interior, as soon as you can. Don't live or work in a multi story building, and don't live or work within 10 miles of any coastline, if at all possible. If you have to live in any of these places, prepare now your evacuation routes and drill with your families.

Don't ignore the curious Christmas connection to the 2004 killer tsunami and what happened in Haiti, where the first settlement of the New World was founded on Christmas Day in 1492. It's a clue, given by Someone whose birth is celebrated on this day, and who warned that these "birth pains" would occur. A half a million dead is just the beginning, and the span between these contractions, now measured in a handful of years, will intensify at shorter intervals. He's giving us a hint, and I wouldn't ignore it.

Faith will be separated from fear, until only the faith remains.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video
    "In the last days perilous times will come, for men shall have a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." 2 Tim 3

Thread Information