Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creepy/Paranormal Experiences You've Had

Don't get comfortable. Contributor Goldmoon's Avatar

Creepy/Paranormal Experiences You've Had

Disable These Ads!
    I wanted to start this thread because I am seriously freaked out right now, I think someone was just in my backyard just now when I went to the kitched to get a ginger-ale... its dark right out, and I had the blinds open, suddenly a face went by the window so fast, I couldn't make out what it was as far as sex, age, etc, but it was definitely a face... Oh man.

I'm also just curious as to everyone else's experiences with weird stuff. I have had a few paranormal things happen which I will mention later in the thread... I'm gonna have another look outside.

"He who calls on the name of the Lord, shall be saved."

Prepared survivor Seasoned Member MVP's Avatar
    I personally never had an experience of actually "seen" something but I mentioned on my thread "I grew up in the haunted house", there have been many strange events I remembered:

My brother was pressed down on his bed and unable to talk or move. I was constantly closing attic door (standard door with door knob and latch) that seem to be ajar every time I walk by and my room was right across from it.

I always slept with lights on thinking I was afraid of dark but that stipulation found to be incorrect as I have no issue walking in a dark without having a fear outside of the house.

Constant uneasy feeling when I was home.

Everyone else in the family has seen something in the house...except for me.

One thing that I vividly remember happened to me was in a dream that I had, I had an eye on palm of my hand and woke up with the hand up in the air and a half of my body being freezing and the other part warm... As to part of your body being cold has been experienced by some of them ghost hunter ppl who thinks something gone thru their body when I was watching one of them series the other day. So, my experience may have been that.

Radioactive Serious Member RyeLiz's Avatar
    MVP,

I experienced something similar to your brother about 6-7 years ago. It happened twice, first time I thought it was my dog that had jumped on me while sleeping, but then I realized the dog was not in the room, still could not move. The next time, the dog was in the room, I was not asleep, I was reading, when all of a sudden, I felt something get on the bed with me, then on top of me....

In that particular apartment, my father who lived with me at the time also heard noise from the vacant apartment upstairs, he'd yell at me to turn the music down.....which was not on. I thought he was just drunk - but then after I moved into that room (where the above happened - bed, music, etc.), I also heard the music, so I went upstairs to the apartment, no one there, no music up there, none in any other part of the house, basement, etc.....

It was not the first time I experienced something of that nature. When I was a child, our house was haunted, lights would go on and off, things fly off of surfaces, back door open and close and faucet in kitchen would turn on and off by itself..... my mother told me it was the ghost of an old boyfriend of her's who'd been killed after leaving a party at the house.... seemed it only happened in the fall of the year... which I could attest to.

Those early spirits did not seem harmful, but the one that was on me in the bed did not seem benevolent either and it freaked me out quite a bit.

That pressed against the bed phenomenon happened to my mom as well when she was young. She was in her dorm and all of a sudden she couldn't move or scream or nothing. She said someone "supposedly" died there...

As to light, faucet issue... I completely forgot about that. Had issues with lights and faucets turns on itself or "shower" acturlly turned on by itself wondering who was taking shower at wee hour of the night.

Both my brother and my mom were visited by my grandmother who passed on. I just get feelings.

Lucky survivor Seasoned Member

call me a skeptic or what ever you will...

well guys call me a skeptic, or what ever you will...
    but i have honistly NEVER ever had any thing happen to me that has caused me to jump to the whole "it must have been a ghost" conclusion.
    any thing wierd that has ever happend to me has had a plausable answer to it... ive been in supposed haunted houses abandon buildings pretty much any situation you can think of where a ghost might be lurking. but not once have i ever experianced anything like that
    and you would think that if there were ghosts, that they would want to let non believers know that they exist more than anyhting...
    mabye im wrong.
    mabie ghosts only are attracted to people who jump to irational conclusions?
    lol
    pardon my rudeness im kinda a dick sometimes. :p

Iam puppy, hear me yap. Global Moderator lycanox's Avatar
    A true paranormal experience is something that happens only when certain conditions are met. And most of them most likely go unnoticed.

Its perfectly reasonable for some people never to see something. There are after all also people living in area where foxes live without ever seeing one.
    http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs27/f/2008/139/8/a/logo_by_lycanox.png

Actually these entities and energies are drawn to those who are more sensitive to it. I used to think these things were paranormal, but really, it all became normal after a while.
    "When you gaze long into the Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Radioactive Serious Member RyeLiz's Avatar
    Profett, I am bound to agree with you regarding that. I had forgot to mention when my dad died at the end of 2003. The day after we had the home wake for him, (Irish wake....yeah), I was lying on the couch when all of a sudden I looked up and my dad was standing there ready to walk out of the house (it was a very cold January day), I looked at him without a coat and said, where is your coat and hat, he smiled and said he was fine, then he walked out the door. I got up walked to the window, watched him walk out the gate (he did not have his much needed cane either), he turned, smiled and waved.....

When my mom had a stroke she lived 300 miles from me (1987), and at the exact same time I was driving to work and my entire right side went numb....I could not feel anything at all for about 5 minutes. I got to work and shortly thereafter got the call from my grandmother that Mom had had stroke on her right side...

I've always been receptive/prone to these things as was my mother before me. One of my daughters is a well.

I have had experience with spirits in many of the houses I've lived in. The one I am in currently had someone commit suicide.... other than my dad experience, I've never had any experiences here - but I've thought it may have been because after the suicide, the owners had the house blessed by a priest.

Iam puppy, hear me yap. Global Moderator lycanox's Avatar
    Off course not all confirmed Haunting or ghosts are the result of Entities.
    Poltergeist for example are more outbursts of energy build up in people themselves.
    http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs27/f/2008/139/8/a/logo_by_lycanox.png

Adventuring Infidel Cyranothe2nd's Avatar
    Mmm, once I went to this xian summer camp and this girl from my cabin was "possessed" by a demon. I am convinced now that she was severely mentally ill and all that praying and laying on of hands probably made it worse but at the time it was pretty freaky.
    I also knew someone who said she had ghosts in her house. We did a seance and she was "possessed" by the ghost and spoke in a weird voice. Again, I don't believe that there was an actual ghost--I think she was just faking it.
    Still, both these events were pretty scary at the time and I could see how, if I was less skeptical, I could believe that they were paranormal events.
    "We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men not from men who feared to write, to associate, to speak and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular."

Edward R. Murrow

when i was 7 we were at my moms friends house. the adults were outside at the picnic table and all the kids were in the house in the back room. when we were all sitting there i felt like i was being watched so i glanced out the window and saw a old woman with long grey hair in a bright red night gown with a white collar and buttons all the way down and then she dissapeared. i got frightened and told my mom what i saw and my moms friend told me that i saw her mother who passed away of cancer a few years back. she told me she looked exactly like i described when she died.

i know what u are talking about above, about the feeling of something on ur chest. i had 3 experiences like that. it almost feels like its sucking the life out of u. all the times it happened i woke up and sensed something in the room with me. it did scare me at first. but i realized that if your scared of it u allow it power over u. theres an old name for it, back it the middle ages they used to call it the old hag. to them it was a demon who came as a old woman and sat on ur chest while u slept.
    Last edited by rdhdangel; Nov 2nd, 2009 at 1:48 AM.
    the eye only sees what the mind is willing to comprehend

For those of you who have dealt with the "heavy being" on your chest feeling, look into sleep paralysis. I suffer from this as well and until I understood it, I was convinced I was being stalked and energetically attacked by dark entities.

My best advice, whether it is sleep paralysis or something sinister, is to breathe deeply, do not be afraid and imagine a white light of love and protection around you. No sooner than you do that will the feeling let up and you will "come to".
    "When you gaze long into the Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Some claims children are more tuned to paranormal. Innocence or open minded, perhaps.

Some claims children are more tuned to paranormal. Innocence or open minded, perhaps.
    A good thought, I have often thought about this when it comes to prayer, and or miracles.

i know what u are talking about above, about the feeling of something on ur chest. i had 3 experiences like that. it almost feels like its sucking the life out of u. all the times it happened i woke up and sensed something in the room with me. it did scare me at first. but i realized that if your scared of it u allow it power over u. theres an old name for it, back it the middle ages they used to call it the old hag. to them it was a demon who came as a old woman and sat on ur chest while u slept.
    I have never had sleep paralysis, it sounds like an interesting thing to study though, I have only heard of it happening to females, though It might also happen to males. I once saw a documentary about a girl who was maliciously haunted by an "Old Hag"

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon View Post
    A good thought, I have often thought about this when it comes to prayer, and or miracles.

I have never had sleep paralysis, it sounds like an interesting thing to study though, I have only heard of it happening to females, though It might also happen to males. I once saw a documentary about a girl who was maliciously haunted by an "Old Hag"
    According to my brother his experience was completely "pinned" down and unable to speak as though he's being chocked and "it" released him. He took that particular room after I left home but, I never once had any odd experience in that room.

He told me that experience never happened again. Maybe he's more sensitive to paranormal and I'm not, I suppose.

Little Bird of Prey phedrereine's Avatar
    I have been on a few ghost hunting forays, but I never saw anything definitive. I heard groaning/gurgling sounds at a cemetery (which could be explained by running water, although it was a dry summer night) and then a few of the people I was with saw a ball of light when we went traipsing through a wooden trail near a monument that same night. I didn't see it myself, but we all ran away screaming and so I didn't get a chance. lol!

But yeah, it's actually harder when you're in a group like that, because people are so energized and full of adrenaline that they will amplify the slightest sound or movement, and then freak out and vamp up everyone else. You can't be sure if you really experienced anything, or if you were just bouncing off emotions and fear with the other people. The human brain tricks you like that.

What are some of the trademark sights, sounds, smells, movements and atmospheric qualities of ghosts? I would be really interested to know. I, an avowed agnostic and part-time atheist, who is fearless in the face of religion and scoffs at MonsterQuest, am afraid of ghosts. Yes, I fall for ghost stories every time. Just hearing the stories here gives me chills, and I believe you guys. Now I'm a little freaked out, looking over my shoulder at shadows...
    "But more wonderful than the lore of old men and the lore of books is the secret lore of ocean."

A little more about sleep paralysis:

When I was looking into this after my first 'attack', I found that visual, auditory and other hallucinations we common among those who experienced it. I know I saw a dark being every time in my mind's eye, or more correctly 'felt' the presence. I also found that sleep paralysis can be attributed to some alien abduction stories as well due to the paralysis, fear and hallucinations.

Additional information:

During an episode of sleep paralysis the individual is fully conscious and aware that it is not possible to move the limbs, head and trunk and there may be also be respiratory difficulties. Indeed, when a person experiences their first episode it's not uncommon for them to think that they are dying, and they may also complain of vivid and terrifying visual, auditory, tactile and/or motor hallucinations.

Sleep paralysis usually occurs whilst lying on a bed and happens less often when a person sleeps in an uncomfortable position, such as sitting upright. Most episodes last a few seconds but may be as long as 10 minutes, and they end suddenly, either spontaneously, because of intense effort to break the paralysis by the person experiencing it, or by the touch or voice of another person. Immediately after an episode there may be numbness or tingling in the hands and feet and there is the possibility of relapse if the individual does not get up and move around.
    http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HT...rocolumn1.htm/

Interesting links:

http://www.castleofspirits.com/sleepparalysis.html

http://www.crystalinks.com/sleeparalysis.html

I do want to say though, despite the research I have put in and the knowledge I have attained about this phenomena, it is scary as hell when it occurs.

Little Bird of Prey phedrereine's Avatar
    That is really scary. I had never even heard of sleep paralysis before tonight. I have never experienced anything like it. I talk in my sleep and I sleep walk, but nothing like wakeful paralysis...

I wonder if sleep paralysis is hereditary in any way?
    "But more wonderful than the lore of old men and the lore of books is the secret lore of ocean."

Violence is the Answer Contributor DaSoviet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastelandwarrior View Post
    well guys call me a skeptic, or what ever you will...
    but i have honistly NEVER ever had any thing happen to me that has caused me to jump to the whole "it must have been a ghost" conclusion.
    This x2

I dream to be haunted!
    Big deal, death always went with the territory. See you in Disneyland.

A friend of mine who went camping at a ghost town of Bodi, who BTW is a skeptic, during some off-road event. He told me that him and his friends camped close to the town itself and he told me he experienced ppl walking around and when they ck'd nobody was around whatsoever and no track marks.

I never been there myself but he said he heard a man's voice right by a creek...

Thanks for the info and links, proffett. I haven't experienced it, but it sounds damn creepy just reading about it.

I wonder if it could actually be that the person has an "evil spirit" like in the biblical times, or if its just a psycological phenomenon. I'd like to hear some more witness accounts.

If anyone has had sleep paralysis, please post here and describe the feeling/experience.

I worked at a military base as an emergency maintenance team. While working on a barrack I sensed a strong floral scent and somewhat dissipated. Thinking there were some housekeeping ppl spraying air freshener, which they are not allow to do so. Nobody was working on that particular barrack and has been vacant for a day. Later, after I was done with my work order I asked one of the lead housekeeper if anyone was working in that particular barrack today and she told me there was no one assigned at all there...

That particular bldg was occupied by a pilot who rammed his jet into the side of a mountain and many housekeepers told me about their experiences in the building as most of housekeepers are assigned to do certain buildings.

On the other occasion I was working on other barrack where alleged suicide occurred long ago. Minding my own business alone in the building I heard TV turned on. Thinking someone was there and I prefer not to listen to radio or TV. Since I did not find anyone there I turned it off. After turning off the TV I went back to what I was doing. Once again TV turned on shortly after I turned it off. By that time I finished my job and left. BTW, you need a key to access the bldg and nobody was assigned for occupancy that day and there were no aircraft flying to possibly connect the incident to some radio wave to activate the unit...

I worked on just about every building there even at night and I never felt anything at all, except for one evening I was asked to ck its pump house due to water pressure issue. Oh, boy, did I feel something or what. All of a sudden I felt heaviness in the air but continued to troubleshoot for a possible cause. Found a contactor to be faulty. Rather than fixing it by myself I called for a backup (I rarely do) and got it done.

I'd say that would be the only time I felt very uneasy and my co-worker didn't feel right, either.

Once again, I never "seen" anything but few things I mentioned above were quite interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by proffett View Post
    For those of you who have dealt with the "heavy being" on your chest feeling, look into sleep paralysis. I suffer from this as well and until I understood it, I was convinced I was being stalked and energetically attacked by dark entities.

My best advice, whether it is sleep paralysis or something sinister, is to breathe deeply, do not be afraid and imagine a white light of love and protection around you. No sooner than you do that will the feeling let up and you will "come to".
    i came to my own conclusion, that if i wasnt afraid it wouldnt happen anymore and i was right. it hasnt happened since then as bad. sometimes i get the same feelings, but they are not as nearly strong as they once were.
    i did look into sleep paralysis, and thats when i discovered the old myth about the old hag. it do believe it was sleep paralysis, or some strange medical problem. i even looked into a type of serzuire. those also had alot of the same characteristics as sleep paralysis.
    Last edited by rdhdangel; Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon View Post
    Thanks for the info and links, proffett. I haven't experienced it, but it sounds damn creepy just reading about it.

I wonder if it could actually be that the person has an "evil spirit" like in the biblical times, or if its just a psycological phenomenon. I'd like to hear some more witness accounts.

If anyone has had sleep paralysis, please post here and describe the feeling/experience.
    i think its a pyschological phenomenon, i was awake all 3 times it happened, something woke me up out of sleep. and some strange reason i always felt like something was there and the first time it happened i called out and said who is there. and it happened so fast i didnt know what it was. i heard a very loud whistle in my ear like it answered me. it it felt like a weight on my chest. it had this strange tingling sensation all over my body and my jaw completely locked and i could scream or say anything untill it stoped. it was absolutly terrifying. i was paraniod for a long time about going to sleep. it took me a long time to realize what it was and stop being scared and get over it. when i told my mom and my family what was going on they looked at me as if i were nuts.
    part of me think that it was a spiritual awakening. and the other part of me wants to say it a medical problem. im still not 100 percent sure. if i could find a scientist who would be willing to run test and explore the occurences a little more i would do it in a second.
    i think it does has alot to do with stress. the human body is does increadible things when under extreme stress.
    during my experiences with the old hag. i was under alot of stress.
    Last edited by rdhdangel; Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:32 PM.

Lucky survivor Seasoned Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lycanox View Post
    A true paranormal experience is something that happens only when certain conditions are met. And most of them most likely go unnoticed.

Its perfectly reasonable for some people never to see something. There are after all also people living in area where foxes live without ever seeing one.
    interesting answer...
    a good one at that...
    however im still convinced that its just people with vivid imaginations that jump to these conclusions...
    people who have alot of fear inside of them already...
    one little thing happens then they start makeing stuff up in their heads...
    the mind is very powerful which im sure you all know already...
    But to the point that if you keep thinking you are sick and mabye dying that it will actualy have physical effects on your health to only further your thoughts into believeing you are actualy sick and dying...
    i know cuz i use to think i was dying... but then found out it was a mixture of heart burn / irrational thinking... lol
    i could see the same kind of thing happening with the whole ghost thing...
    eg: you hear some noise or see something you cant explain your like "Whoa what was that" (fear sets in) then your mind starts trying to cattagorize....
    unfortunately your mind doesnt have the proper information to cattagorize properly so instead it just starts makeing up its own cattagorys...
    lol
    and thats when your mind starts getting irrational....
    now i know some of you are going to respond by saying im a perfectly rational human being, how dare you insult my sanity... lol all i have to say is ... Are you sure your not looking at this from ONLY your point of view...
    ask some people you know very well personaly if you are rational or not and there answer will be "sometimes" lol
    ok ill stop now... i could go on forever...

Thread Information