Page 31 of 82 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: is it time to talk about depression?

Prepared survivor Seasoned Member severdsoul's Avatar
    Disable These Ads!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH DUCK AND COVER DUCK AND COVER..

no realy get the duck and cover it with butter... gota get that ready for supper..

WHOLEY COW OD, thats a huge number.

WATCH LIVE: Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke speaks on financial crisis

javascript:vPlayer('22886841','ce6d575d-6e6a-40fd-b2d1-350347534dd7')

Just in on MSNBC

EDIT: didnt work, but its on the main page of msnbc for the link...

On a good note, even if we hit past -777 we still wont be to bad, it will be just below 8K which it has dipped below before.
    Last 8,389.54
    Change -439.50

Edit again... yea i know...i could multiple post..
    Pelosi hopes for stimulus bill by Inauguration
    Measure could total $500 billion for infrastructure, Medicaid and energy

WASHINGTON - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is promising Congress will try to have a huge economic recovery bill ready for President-elect Barack Obama as soon as he takes office.

The California Democrat said Monday that lawmakers will press ahead in hopes the huge bill will be ready for Obama's signature when he takes office on Jan. 20. The measure could total $500 billion for infrastructure, aid to states with their Medicaid costs and renewable energy development.

Congress convenes Jan. 6, which would give lawmakers just two weeks to complete the bill if it is to be signed right away.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27998219/#storyContinued
    Last edited by severdsoul; Dec 1st, 2008 at 1:19 PM.

Fighting for Life Contributor olddragon's Avatar
    People seem to have forgotten that all those little banks that failed,
    had to have there assets propped up by the FDIC.
    That came out of Treasury.(the money paid into it by banks was already spent in the Gen budget.)

When all of this is finally added up or if it makes the 6 o'clock news (doubtful),
    People will be irate, the 20,000 troops may well be needed, just to protect the big CEO's and the Fed & Treasury sects.

Bull$hit Artist Contributor Blu-ray's Avatar
    I was just wondering what the limits are before the circuit breakers kick in? Between 3 and 4 we could have one hell of a drop an it close early. But who knows. Of course it could just stay flat lined it is now, not really going anywhere.

Prepared survivor Seasoned Member severdsoul's Avatar
    No , i doubt it will stay flat, i'm sure twords the end of the day its going to make a huge jump, the question is up or down.....

Leader of the bomb shelter Contributor Sandstorm's Avatar
    and down it went and down it will go all the way to almost 6000 points by year end, the next few weeks will be interesting as the media now change tact from how to avoid recession to how to survive it.

The options are also running out for Paulson and Bernankeand I would expect another large drop again tomorrow to below 8000.

H1N1....I thought that was in the Klingon Sector...illogical.

DJIA 8,149.09 -679.95 7.70%
    Nasdaq 1,398.07 -137.50 8.95%
    S&P 500 816.21 -80.03 8.93%

Well, Severed, we know which way it went, down.

Good news,
    Oil Dips Below $50
    Crude prices fell more than $4 after OPEC decided not to cut production
    * OPEC Needs to Stem Oil's Slump
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/mar...nt-cut-output/

Launchin' Nukes at Noobs Contributor
    Well id say even though oil may come down the cost of living still goes up,when heating and electric and food costs come down then we shall be better off.
    Are the companies willing to do this or not you have to ask!

Lucky survivor Contributor Blackbeard's Avatar
    It was so funny today to see all the Dems clapping themselves on the back today because of Obama's great picks for national security. All the pundits were raving on the news and even some Republicans were singing Obama's praises. Meanwhile, I was laughing my ass off watching the bottom right corner of the stock ticker dropping, dropping, dropping.....and there goes a week's worth of gains

Obama will be lucky to make it to Inaug before the bottom drops out of this thing and then it really won't matter who his team is. Sadly, it's not even his fault.

I was out today and when i came back i saw the numbers on msnbc.tv. wow, what a day!!! it was the same in Canada TSX down 800 points or so.

If i remember correctly it was alsmost 700 points for the Dow Jones.

Krakatoa.

Japanese car sales have plummeted at a pace not seen since the bleak economic days of the early 1970s. Confirming fears that Japan has crashed into its sharpest downturn since the Second World War, November sales of cars, lorries and buses plunged by 27.3 per cent from the previous year.

Funny how history has a habit i smell a war looming if history serves us right,the only difference that it would be a lot worse than the last depression?
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5269882.ece

Section 8 all the way Contributor medicvet's Avatar
    I am pretty sure that Obama will not be blamed for this..he has been preaching change, and we have had out most incompetent and idiotic president ever right before him..if worst comes to worst Obama will only be a Carter..it would take some doing to go worse than the ineffectualness of the peanut farmer, imho.

What Obama needs to do is indeed what he has been talking about a new 'new deal', with job creation to repair our falling apart infrastructure..roads, bridges, etc.

One thing for sure..when I get my seeds in the ground, I want to be able to have a way of stopping others from taking the food by stealing it..because it just could come to that. Also, when you get hungry enough, I don't think it is really going to matter that much when hunting season is..also going to give fishing a real try..the weather is cold, but the gas is cheap, scarily so to me, and I am going to see about giving our local lake a shot..

I got my grocery shopping done earlier this evening, and got myself thoroughly depressed looking at all the things my kids would like and know I just can't get them this year. In the past, if it was a rough year, my folks would help out, but with Dad gone and Mom struggling, it's just not there. ::(:

Us in recession well it was last year it began wasnt it?
    http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video....recession.cnn

The sales have not saved companies according to a new report.
    Bargain-hunting holiday shoppers did not save U.S. retail sales in November, which will likely represent a second straight month of declines for the industry.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...4B11AP20081202

Oil has gone back up again.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...49B3Y620081202

Hey big man, can you spare a dollar?

The new sum – $7.76 trillion – represents $25,000 for every citizen in the country, or half the value of everything produced in the nation last year; yet it’s not clear that a mere half of our net worth will rescue the financial system. One bankrupt bank after another has been bailed out with public money, in a futile effort to prevent a collapse of a massive multi-trillion dollar derivatives pyramid created by the banks.[2] But according to the Comptroller of the Currency, U.S. commercial banks now carry over $180 trillion in derivatives on their books. The public is liable to be bankrupted before this mess is resolved.
    On top of the $700 billion initially extorted from Congress, an additional $2 trillion in loans and commitments has already been made by the Federal Reserve and the Treasury. Yet that wall of money has not kept the imperiled banks from collapsing. Citigroup was one of the nine lucky recipients of Paulson’s largesse in October, when he set out to recapitalize the banks by trading dollars for shares. The bank received $25 billion from the Treasury; yet this handout was insufficient to keep its stock from dropping below $4 a share. Citigroup was then bailed out by the Treasury to the tune of another $20 billion, along with a commitment to guarantee $306 billion in toxic assets on its books. That equals half the $700 billion bailout, just for one bank; yet Citigroup’s books, which sport derivative bets of $37 trillion, won’t look much better than before.
    http://www.webofdebt.com/articles/oops.php

I saw last night that the CEO of the Credit Union Assoc, thinks that the bailout is now between $4 and $7 Trillion dollars, and could increase to Failure.

Big numbers, DVD. What do you think?
    Got any spare change?

One down many to go!
    The governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, has declared a fiscal emergency, amid fears the state could run out of cash by early next year.
    Must be a reality i suppose but lets wait and see.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7760249.stm

Car company asks congress to bail them out!
    pay one then the rest will ask for bailouts?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7761015.stm

The uk layoffs
    Halfords uk which sell bicycles and car parts are to lay off people very soon.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...cs/7760251.stm
    One cleaning company and photo company to lay off staff
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7761237.stm

Time to Play Wheel of Furtune

Ok place your bets, will it be Red or Green today?

Here are a few headlines to help you out.
    FORD Requests $9B Loan in Plan Submitted to Congress...
    GM Asks for Up to $18B...
    Sales hit new lows...
    Pelosi: Automaker bankruptcy 'not option'...
    Auditors Fault Oversight of Bailout Funds...
    Governors to Seek Up to $100B in Social Aid...
    Feds to expand rescue; reviewing applications from 'hundreds of banks'...
    FDIC head: Gov't plan needs 'exit strategy'...
    Metal prices fall further than during Great Depression...
    http://www.drudgereport.com/

Ok, place your bets.

DJIA 8,300 -132.0000 1.5655
    NASDAQ 1,105.00 -28.0000 2.4713
    S&P 500 834.60 -14.4000 1.6961

Looks like the bet is Red to start with.

I bet it ends close to even, maybe a little red
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed
    ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Iam puppy, hear me yap. Global Moderator lycanox's Avatar
    I bet it is going to linger around -100. With occasional peaks up and down.

Unless some really bad news comes in for the car industry.
    http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs27/f/2008/139/8/a/logo_by_lycanox.png

Kind of what I think also.
    Up and down 150 to 200 and drop in the last 30 mins.

I reckon a drop of -375 today.

The Congressmen Who Have Invested in the Automakers

Who is helping who ?
    General Motors
    Politician Amount
    John D. Dingell (D-Mich) $650,003 to $1,350,000
    Elizabeth Dole (R-NC) $8,459 to $20,861
    Jon L. Kyl (R-Ariz) $4,729
    Judd Gregg (R-NH) $2,002 to $30,000
    Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas)
    $1,001 to $15,000
    Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif) $1,001 to $15,000
    Stephen Ira Cohen (D-Tenn) $1,001 to $15,000
    F. James Sensenbrenner Jr. (R-Wis) $1,001 to $15,000
    Todd Akin (R-Mo) $1,001 to $15,000
    Eric Cantor (R-Va) $1,001 to $15,000
    Steve Kagen (D-Wis) $1,001 to $15,000
    Tom Coburn (R-Okla) Up to $2,000
    Ford
    Politician Amount
    Jon L. Kyl (R-Ariz) $5,047
    Tom Coburn
    (R-Okla) $3,003 to $46,000
    Virgil H. Goode Jr.
    (R-Va) $15,001 to $50,000
    Dave Weldon
    (R-Fla) $15,001 to $50,000
    James M. Inhofe
    (R-Okla) $15,001 to $50,000
    Grace Napolitano
    (D-Calif) $15,001 to $50,000
    Elizabeth Dole
    (R-NC) $1,380 to $2,875
    Ray LaHood
    (R-Ill) $1,001 to $15,000
    Todd Akin
    (R-Mo) $1,001 to $15,000
    Michael N. Castle
    (R-Del) $1,001 to $15,000
    Jim Moran
    (D-Va) $1,001 to $15,000
    Stephanie Herseth Sandlin
    (D-SD) $1 to $1,000
    Michael Burgess
    (R-Texas) $1 to $1,000
    John McCain
    (R-AZ) Up to $2,000
    Jeff Bingaman
    (D-NM) Up to $1,000
    Chrysler LLC
    Politician Amount
    Thad McCotter (R-Mich) $1,001 to $15,000

The bailouts will no doubt raise the share price.
    Your Tax Dollars at Work.
    Note: Rep. John Dingell’s wife is the executive director for public affairs for G.M. and a descendant of the Fisher brothers, who founded the company that became General Motors 100 years ago. While Dingell’s spouse, Deborah Dingell, does not lobby Congress or the administration on GM’s behalf, “she makes the case for the company, the auto industry and the state of Michigan in public and in private,” a recent New York Times story says.
    http://emac.blogs.foxbusiness.com/20...in-automakers/

http://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/sear...ORS&srchtype=O

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
    I reckon a drop of -375 today.
    Good God, I was close today...sarcasm intended

Anyway read this below, it is an excellent article which shows the feelings we all have toward our banking friends at the moment.

Below is an actual letter sent to a Bank in the United States.

The Bank Manager thought it amusing enough to have it published in the New York Times.

Dear Sir:

I am writing to thank you for bouncing my check with which I endeavored to pay my plumber last month. By my calculations some three nanoseconds must have elapsed between his presenting the check and the arrival in my account of the funds needed to honor it. I refer, of course, to the automatic monthly deposit of my entire salary, and arrangement which, I admit, has only been in place for eight years. You are to be commended for seizing that brief window of opportunity, and also for debiting my account by $50 by way of penalty for the inconvenience I caused to your bank. My thankfulness springs from the manner in which this incident has caused me to rethink my errant financial ways. You have set me on the path of fiscal righteousness. No more will our relationship be blighted by these unpleasant incidents, for I am restructuring my affairs, taking as my model the procedures, attitudes and conduct of your very bank. I can think of no greater compliment and I know you will be excited and proud to hear it.

To this end, please be advised of the following changes: I have noticed that whereas I personally attend to your telephone calls and letters, when I try to contact you, I am confronted by the impersonal, ever-changing, pre-recorded, faceless entity which your bank has become.

From now on I, like you, choose only to deal with a flesh-and-blood person. My mortgage and loan repayments will, therefore and hereafter, no longer be automatic, but will arrive at your bank, by check, addressed personally and confidentially to an employee at your branch whom you must nominate.

You will be aware that it is an offense under the Postal Act for any other person to open such an envelope. Please find attached an Application Contact Status which I require your chosen employee to complete. I am sorry it runs to eight pages, but in order that I know as much about him or her as your bank knows about me, there is no alternative. Please note that all copies of his or her medical history must be countersigned by a Notary Public, and the mandatory details of his/her financial situation (income, debts, assets and liabilities) must be accompanied by documented proof.

In due course I will issue your employee with a PIN number which he/she must quote in dealings with me. I regret that it cannot be shorter than 28 digits but, again, I have modeled it on the number of button presses required to access my account balance on your phone bank service. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Let me level the playing field even further by introducing you to my new telephone system, which you will notice, is very much like yours. My Authorized Contact at your bank, the only person with whom I will have any dealings, may call me at any time and will be answered by an automated voice service:

Press buttons as follows:

1. To make an appointment to see me.

2. To query a missing payment.

3. To transfer the call to my living room in case I am
    there.

4. To transfer the call to my bedroom in case I am sleeping.

5. To transfer the call to my toilet in case I am attending to nature.

6. To transfer the call to my mobile phone if I am not at home.

7. To leave a message on my computer, a password to access my computer is required. Password will be communicated at a later date to the Authorized Contact.

8. To return to the main menu and to listen to options 1 through 7.

9. To make a general complaint or inquiry.
    The contact will then be put on hold, pending the attention of my automated answering service. While this may on occasion involve a lengthy wait, uplifting music will play for the duration of the call. This month I've chosen a refrain from "The Best of Woody Guthrie: "Oh, the banks are made of marble, with a guard at every door, and the vaults are filled with silver, That the miners sweated for."

On a more serious note, we come to the matter of cost. As your bank has often pointed out, the ongoing drive for greater efficiency comes at a cost which you have always been quick to pass on to me. Let me repay your kindness by passing some costs back. First, there is a matter of advertising material you send me. This I will read for a fee of $20 per page. Inquiries from the Authorized Contact will be billed at $5 per minute of my time spent in response. Any debits to my account, as, for example, in the matter of the penalty for the dishonored check, will be passed back to you. New phone service runs at 75 cents a minute. You will be well advised to keep your inquiries brief and to the point. Regrettably, but again following your example, I must also levy an establishment fee to cover the setting up of this new arrangement.

May I wish you a happy, if ever-so-slightly less prosperous, Day.

Quote Originally Posted by severdsoul View Post
    The ideas are sound Jake99 but getting something like that in place would be a trick. But a world where everyone has the basics without question would be nice.
    Althoguh i cant see that happening, to many greedy people out there..
    Lil Butt is doing ok, he is cutting 2 top teeth, and has a cold so real clingy and fussy, but thats expected. I'm just glad that they dont remember any of this when they get older.. It has to hurt like crazy. He is almost walking now.. he will take a few steps at a time.. probably could if he realy wanted to, but just not ready.. no biggie he will when he is ready.

I know that change has never been easy for mankind they are stuck in systems that cannot work and they know no other way. Jesus got nailed to a cross for suggesting the same plan, I hope the World is ready for it after all these years of war and waste.

Lil Butt sounds like a cute kid he must be almost a year now if hes ready to walk.

Anyway has anyone become aware of either fire stations or local services closing yet?
    I bring up this article because a fire station somewhere in the uk may close due to financial difficulties.

I wonder how this is going to affect communties it just hasnt sunk in yet and sort of in denial about the whole situation.
    It seems a little unreal and this recession could determine my disabled sons future,as he is still waiting for a large payout due to clinical negligence.

Im beginning to hear that solicitors are are being affected to we are at the end but hoping and praying that this recession has no affect on the outcome.

As for Japan as reported they had gone into recession,it now seems that it is worse than was reported previously.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...4AL2C720081204

China
    http://www.reuters.com/article/world...4B303K20081204

GM and Chrysler Considering Bankruptcy to Get Bailout

General Motors Corp and Chrysler LLC are considering accepting a pre-arranged bankruptcy as the last-resort price of getting a multi-billion dollar government bailout, Bloomberg reported Thursday, citing a person familiar with internal discussions.

In response to automakers' bailout plea, staff for three members of Congress have asked restructuring experts if a pre-arranged bankruptcy -- negotiated with workers, creditors and lenders -- could be used to reorganize the sector without liquidation, Bloomberg said.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elec...uptcy-bailout/

Interesting, prearranged bankruptcy....

Futures

DJIA 8,461 -118.0000 1.3755
    NASDAQ 1,140.50 -15.5000 1.3408
    S&P 500 856.50 -12.0000 1.3817

Not so rosy a picture, today.

Even if the Big 3 automakers get the Bailout they are finished in an economy that cannot afford thier products.

I want to forgive all debts and Globalize everything before this crazy mess gets worse.

Thread Information