Thread: Some math symbols, greek letters, etc on YOUR Comp.

Cart-mod 2.0 Global Moderator Cartesiantheater's Avatar

Some math symbols, greek letters, etc on YOUR Comp.

Disable These Ads!
    Look what I found in windows!

Lets say I want to write a summation...

n
    x^2
    k = 1

How about partial derivatives?

∂ƒ/∂x

We can also write gradient notation:

▼ƒ

How about greek letters for trig?

sin θ cos φ tan α

Square roots?

√(x + 1)

How about the squigly f for f(x) notation you find in math books?

ƒ(x) = 2x + 3

I haven't found anything for integration yet though

But we could write it as:

lim ƒ(c) ∆x
    n→∞

although that's a tad cumbersome.

Wait! I found one!

b
    ƒ(x) dx
    a

One more thing: I've always wanted to type this:

lim ƒ(c) ∆x = ƒ(x) dx
    n→∞

There is only one problem: All of the subscripts and superscripts you see were put in manully by me. Sorry, but at least we've got the symbols!

How to find them:

Click on "Start" and then click on "Run." Then just type in "charmap" and it's done.

EDIT- Stickied because if people actually use this it could make math on the forums easier to read.
    Last edited by Cartesiantheater; Dec 18th, 2007 at 10:04 PM.
    "I was put on trial twice near Y2K for acting like Jesus and claiming to be the Messiah. Its not everyday that a man parks a Chariot of Fire in front of a tomb and stands against the US government with a bow and razor tipped arrows over his shoulder. I wore a suit of armor and was protected by an invisible bubble and my sharp tongue was more than the judicial system could handle."Jake
    "The toilet is more than a throne. It is a sacred chamber."-Anton LaVey, High Priest of Satanism

FlatLiner Contributor DontBeAfraid's Avatar
    NICE find! Truly awesome.
    I aggressively attack stupidity... If you feel I am being aggressive, well....

johnb1
    Many Thanks (^^,) Go Go Go MATH wizard

Does this only work in Vista? What are you running, system wise, Cart.?
    "In the last days perilous times will come, for men shall have a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." 2 Tim 3

Max Headroom Contributor UVsaturated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartesiantheater View Post
    There is only one problem: All of the subscripts and superscripts you see were put in manully by me. Sorry, but at least we've got the symbols!

EDIT- Stickied because if people actually use this it could make math on the forums easier to read.
    Very nice work. I would also suggest you add to this thread by showing how you have used the size BBcode to create your characters. It isn't true HTML sub and sup tags. You are only using the size BBcode tag to do it, which simplifies things a bit.

Uncle Sam is a two bit coward - always taking money from his brother's kids and telling them he wants them to join his Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor Witness View Post
    Does this only work in Vista? What are you running, system wise, Cart.?
    I am computuer illiterate, but I can tell you that I am useing one of the "old" ones. These computers that I do this on are not using Vista.

UVsaturated:

You're right, I am only using what the site provides. Unfortunately, that brings several imitations, for example, I can't make a definate integral in the middle of th e"page." It has to be on the left side.

But if anyone would like to explain how we can get true sub and superscripts, that would be nice.
    "I was put on trial twice near Y2K for acting like Jesus and claiming to be the Messiah. Its not everyday that a man parks a Chariot of Fire in front of a tomb and stands against the US government with a bow and razor tipped arrows over his shoulder. I wore a suit of armor and was protected by an invisible bubble and my sharp tongue was more than the judicial system could handle."Jake
    "The toilet is more than a throne. It is a sacred chamber."-Anton LaVey, High Priest of Satanism

Prepared survivor Seasoned Member dcookcan's Avatar
    I find it much easier to use the equation editor in MS Word. You can create formulae as complex as you like and simply create an image by using the print screen function and pasting/saving the image....sounds more complex than it is but you have to have Word. I'm sure there are other generic word processors that will do it also.

Radioactive Serious Member Phrozt's Avatar
    strange... why where they put there?

This just in!

You can type the exponents 2 and 3 by doing the following:

For 2: hold down alt and press 0178

For 3: hold down alt and press 0179

x

x

makes things a lot prettier.

dx/dt beats the hell out of d^2x/dt^2, does it not?

*note! You have to use the NUMBER KEY PAD on the right of the keyboard with the numlock key activated.

I copy and pasted the x in the exponent from this website:

http://www.questgems.com/alt_codes.htm

but the codes listed don't work for me.

Also, using charmap in the Cambria font: (and size 4 to make things easier to see)

x⁴

x⁵

x⁶

x⁷

x⁸

x⁹
    Last edited by Cartesiantheater; Dec 19th, 2009 at 12:30 PM.

Thread Information