Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Severe weather warnings

Launchin' Nukes at Noobs Contributor
    Disable These Ads!
    Seems the UK met office were not that wrong after all.
    Fire crews had to rescue a dozen residents from their homes after about 0.6in (15mm) of rain fell in one hour in a town already affected by flooding.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...cs/6903135.stm

More of the same again Ireland once again hit with floods.
    One of Northern Ireland's most scenic routes is to stay closed for a second night, as risks of further landslides cannot be ruled out.The rain left a trail of devastation, with flooding and mudslides affecting motorists, businesses and home-owners.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6902001.stm

Record electricity usage as Sydney chills 18/07/07.will keep this thread going and count up how many weird weather stories appear at the end of this month.
    It seems that this month of chaos is still going on without any let up so far.
    New South Wales has set records for electricity use for two consecutive days, as Sydneysiders turn up the heat to deal with the unusually cold weather.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Stories of severe weather and floods are coming in thick and fast
    Severe storms and torrential rain caused flooding at two schools in Leeds on Tuesday afternoon.Counting the costs already
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/6903713.stm
    Seems though that money will be paid for floods in schools,so up goes the council taxes again.
    The government has announced an extra £10m to help schools and children affected by the recent floods.More like 50 million + pounds by the time the floods have stopped if ever.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6903160.stm

Rains kill 22 in India, thousands homeless

Not good news again
    NEW DELHI, India - Heavy monsoon rains have triggered landslides in southern India, killing at least 22 people and leaving at least 4,500 homeless in the past two days, officials said on Wednesday.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc...eut/index.html

Storm kills 15, brings 40,000 lightning strikes,China i think we had better take notice!
    A 16-HOUR storm unleashed more than 40,000 lightning strikes in China, killing 15 people, injuring more than 100 and bringing air, road and rail traffic to a halt, state media has said.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...rom=public_rss
    I would honestly say we are in trouble.

World gripped by extreme weather (+photos)

Never mind about my monthly reports,we are all noticing i guess
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10452220
    climate crisis?do you still think it is?

A dinosaur... no reason Contributor Stabby Joe's Avatar
    Does a post every few hours count as monthly lol?
    Science doesn't have all of the answers... otherwise it wouldn't be science.

No i made a mistake ,what i meant was daily reports throughout the month of July.Count and see how many incidents have happened,then we can start asking ourselves the question is it global climate change really or natural event.If it does carry on though im sure we shall see or hear about it.

No one has to answer this thread okay guys and gals
    Timeline?how much time do we have left.Same countries same problems months after months.Im counting the human loss and of course what are these countries going to do about the millions who have become homeless.Then there is the food we cannot sustain this anymore as the rest of the world are becoming victims also.A world crisis is around the corner but thats me all over.
    18/07/07
    Heatwave grips Balkans, kills five in Romania,yes being hit with another heat wave.
    BUCHAREST (Reuters) - Five Romanians died this week as a heatwave gripped parts of the Balkans where temperatures have hit 42 degrees Celsius (108 Fahrenheit), causing wild fires, power shortages and traffic disruption.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/envir...070718?sp=true
    Gulf of Mexico "dead zone" could expand this year,ah not a good sign
    WASHINGTON - The Gulf of Mexico's "dead zone" -- a swath of water with such low levels of oxygen that marine life can be threatened or killed -- could be the largest since measurements began in 1985, scientists said on Tuesday.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/envir...84585420070718
    What did the bible say?fires,floods,earthquakes
    Desperate times desperate measures
    London to get desalination plant in climate battle
    LONDON - Britain gave the green light on Wednesday for a desalination plant on London's River Thames in an effort to cope with climate change and get clean water to the capital's booming population.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/envir...86313820070718

A dinosaur... no reason Contributor Stabby Joe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryangti View Post
    No i made a mistake ,what i meant was daily reports throughout the month of July.Count and see how many incidents have happened,then we can start asking ourselves the question is it global climate change really or natural event.If it does carry on though im sure we shall see or hear about it.
    Monthly reports + daily reports throughout the month = all year, every year lol!

No change from the previous system.
    Science doesn't have all of the answers... otherwise it wouldn't be science.

One left in the chamber Global Moderator TC's Avatar
    64th latitude north....Where global warming is a plus
    How many more AO posters must die needlessly, crushed by the merciless juggernaut of text, with its blind rage devouring everything in its path.....oohh the horror of it all.

Any local stories needed,Myself personally am weighing up the magnitude of these storms,which are of course are spreading like a wildfire across nations on both sides of the world.It has become crazy,wish the internet wasnt so quick to make these reports.I am concerned as most of us are because we are not entirely sure whats going on or whats the cause.
    http://www.wpxi.com/news/13700855/detail.html
    Pittsburgh
    Lightning and flash flooding,England again
    HOMES were struck by lightning and flash floods caused chaos last night after freak storms that saw two weeks’ rain fall in the North-East in 10 minutes.
    http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/j...name_page.html
    Flood alert sounded in Cauvery delta
    http://www.chennaionline.com/colnews...AME=Tamil+Nadu
    Things seem to be speeding up on an alarming rate?Not trying to frighten anybody ok
    Earthquake off east coast of Sri Lanka causes no damage; no tsunami warning
    http://thestaronline.com/news/story....36&sec=apworld

Come on Ryan, you have 6 posts in a row! there is a policy about double posting, maybe one or two is OK but 6 is over the top! And NO we aren't as concerned as you are, you never debate a serious thread dealing with climate change, and I guess its because you don't have anything to argue with outside of cut and paste blogs!!

Its annoying as hell, and we have tried to be polite about it, but you continue to bury this place with 20 different threads dealing with the same subject!!!

Your opinion is valid, but your method is really wearisome to the mind. Please lighten up!!

Threads merged.

Serious debate!i have looked around and seeing that all of these so called cutting emissions are all talk and nothing else.We are so tied up in our comfortable lives,that we dont give a second thought to the damage we are doing to the environment.You are right about the posts,let us not become to ignorant to the fact that we all have to find an answer to this problem and soon.Why should we not be concerned?are you a victim yet?as you soon could become one yourself.We then have a different perspective when we have no homes to go to,or other countries that refuse to help us.Have you not read that after the UK floods no help was there and almost left to rot.Its almost becoming the norm now to see these rising floods,and yes it could get a lot worse.what has happened to all the debates?none too busy with the war on terror.I will calm down the posts if it offends anyone.Lighten up!what future?uncertain times is what most are saying.Millions displaced by the floods,now we pay the price for abusing the earth.What has happened to the protests?oh i forgot we dont care,dont believe it,skeptics rule.In denial is the problem,and a world in a mess.So we destroy many of our past heritage in one century?all because man wants his comforts.

No Ryan we are not paying for abuse! this is 95% a natural event! it has happened before! it will happen again! We are are a speck on a big blue marble! 20.000 years ago we were blowing paint through our fingers on a cave wall, and now you suspect we manipulate the climate!

Perhaps 2% of emissions have a collective effect on upper atmospheric conditions, the rest is dust! ( and politics) this planet has evolved through previous major climate shifts without our impute!.. and it will... without a doubt... do so this time around as well!

If you doubt the scientific data that points to this fact, then by all means put it up for debate! Needless to say a flood warning from bum fuck Egypt is not paramount to disaster, nor is it proof that man is the prime culprit! And a blog from the Moose Jaw Alaska gazette is not a valid source of reference to sustain an argument.

Swings and roundabouts,i seriously think that we don't really know whats what!
    Question is now that we have become a world of technological advances we seem no closer to say if it is a natural event or something more sinister.One thing is for sure though,that while the populations gets bigger then we have no room for the animals,and thats why say bears are coming closer to our back door.As we are building more and more and taking up the fields,and taking away their natural homes.Britain is actually becoming a concrete jungle as i have seen fields disappear and i live in the countryside,so we can be guilty for that.I would though believe a little more in what NASA reports cameras don't lie.I just found this article and would we say that attitudes are changing?WASHINGTON - On a narrow, leafy street in Northwest Washington, where Prius hybrid cars and Volvos are the norm, one man bought a flashy gray Hummer that was too massive to fit in his garage.Then it was vandalized,and why?seen as bad for the environment.So it seems i am not the only person moaning,but don't have the right to do this to someone's property.But you know what?we are or maybe see more of this.Either because of media hype or generally compassionate about our fragile planet.Those who are so 20th are beginning to be snubbed,so i guess it's time to get used to the 21st century's green
    parade.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19818804/

There's the mentality Ryan behind the whole green attitude!! some guy buys a car that doesn't fit the friggen trend, so the response is to vandalize it!! Fu*king brilliant! Gee wiz that makes for a humdinger of an intelligent argument for global warming...." Save the planet...bust up a Hummer"

Say Ryan,what ever happened to acid rain? you remember, it was supposed to burn my cats eyes out before the year 2000!!! not a frigging pip in the bloody news! WHY? because it was bullshit, but funny how you don't get an apology from the experts!

You howl about a fragile planet? Ryan do you have any idea what this earth has gone through in the last 2 billion years? ( silly me, obviously not) asteroid impacts, simultaneous massive volcanic eruptions, crust shifts, unimaginable dust and heat, freezing ice periods, earthquakes that moved mountains, and you call this FRAGILE?

I'm beginning to think you don't have a clue, outside of whats on the front of the Daily Mirror..wait I take that back, you really don't have a clue.

Oh!thats where you are wrong bud,i do know what the earth has been through done my history.I know that the earth has gone through the ice age,continents have separated ,visible evidence of meteors.Why does man then have to keep destroying it even more?.Of course the earth is fragile,naturally it goes through it's paces and then came man to kill the fish through poisoning it,take away the animal kingdoms natural environment,because they cannot fight back.I just read that a whale was struck by a boat,whilst tourists just stood there taking photos.Even though it had a gash on it,again dolphins killed and then the fisherman laughed.Okay slightly off the subject,we are not helping ourselves,and are getting to the stage where we are poisoning ourselves with pollution,and we call that progress.If we are not careful we will lose this planet as it will be unable to sustain life.This is not bloody natural,but mans selfishness to his own needs.lets look after this earth,yes we cannot do nothing about nature,but we can learn to appreciate what we have on loan to us.By the way have researched global warming,some say its natural,some say not.It says almost three quarters of people believe it's natural and not a result of carbon emissions.Yet scientists keep telling us it is due to pollution,a staggering 71% think that the rise in air temps happens naturally.People need to understand the facts,so the debate goes on.Now i should imagine those recent displaced victims of the recent floods need a straight answer,so that they can get prepared more wouldn't you?.If like some islanders are seeing their homes and land destroyed by rising sea levels.
    Questions
    1:Is the earth getting really hotter?
    2:Are warmer temperatures causing bad things to happen?
    3:Is there really a cause for serious concern?
    The answers are up to you

Yes, ...yes your right, I can see how dead whales and dolphins are a part of climate change....(nice dodge)

So lets take the following resource reference and call them a non valid argument for the case of natural climate change:

The National Hurricane center, The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin. Doctor Lindzen, Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT, Professor Bob Carter of the Marine Geophysical Lapidary at James Cook University, Dr. William Gray of the Atmospheric Science Dept. Colorado State University, The National Academy of Science, The National Climate data center....

All of these are what I use to post a thread regarding weather and climate change, and I managed to do so with two threads, but you give me a song and dance about dead fish.

1. The planet is warming ( naturally)
    2.Bad things have happened continually with the weather throughout history.
    3.Concern? only if you sell tabloids.

Prepared survivor Seasoned Member Becks's Avatar
    I agree, posts upon posts are useless. People will begin to ignore them for the sheer fact of their volume.

Yah, some areas that haven't seen flooding for a long time are flooding but I don't think that's earth-shattering news nor worthy of multiple threads.
    If you think that I'm not the same, then I guess you've changed.

Talking

Nice dodge?on the defense i am,thats okay though bud!i like you because you speak your mind and dont pussyfoot around.Sometimes people dont like to hear the truth.The whale bit ,shows how sick humans can be,hope they have a guilty conscience.Anyway no more 1/2/3/4/ and so on threads all about climate change and thats a sincere promise.

Leader of the bomb shelter Contributor Sandstorm's Avatar
    *****STOP PRESS*****

Soaring temps in Glasgow cause three old ladies to faint. Temperatures in Glasgow reached a soaring 22degC today, forcing men to wear shorts and ladies to to dawn summer gear. Three old ladies in the centre of Glasgow passed out through heat exhaustion, one said "Agnes, Hilda and myself came out expecting rain, but then the Sun came out and we still had our winter coats on, it's terrible, somethings definently wrong with our climate, we're screwed that's all I can say".

Forecasters expect the freak weather to continue for at least 4 hours tomorrow with temps reaching a balmy 23degC, before the weather returns to the seasonal normal.

Phew, this is unheard of and with all else going on around the planet we are definently facing a global climate crisis.

The end is nigh!

Who watches the watchers? Contributor Glacial Ridge's Avatar
    Western Edge Niagara Escarpment Fox River Valley
    In defense of Ryangti, I did appreciate his posts on Weather and Climate change. It became a good way for me to get my daily dose of Gobal Weather patterns.
    He also put a human spin on them. Glad that I don't live on an island.
    I DID NOT appreciate all the new threads that were started to accomplish his daily mission.

Ryangti, the world does see this climate change.
    If you were having winter instead of summer right now, wouldn't you be looking at the weather in other areas of the world to find out whats going on. People all over the earth are asking the same question.

How is it for the "Greater Good," to tell us its CO2 and not just a normal part of the earths warming and cooling cycles?
    Why.....didn't the U.S. join in the Kyoto Protocol YEARS earlier?
    How much NEW science data do we have correlating the sun cycles to our own warming and cooling cycles?

Lucky survivor Seasoned Member
    The earth will shake us off like a bad case of fleas when she is ready to do so.Ryan the earth isn't fragile, it's a nasty harsh enviroment at the best of times, over the billions of years that is. WE JUST HAPPEN TO BE IN A GOOD FEW THOUSAND YEARS RIGHT NOW!!!
    That will all change when the earth is ready to swing the cycle back on the more violent conditions.Also , there is not a damn thing that we can do about that aspect of it.We can however become better stewards of this planet in the time we have here and clean our act up for sure.But alas, the Earth will go through the same cycle, whether we are here on the planet or not.My advice to you Ryan is to be the best person you can be and enjoy the little time we have here.Don't let yourself fall prey to the "climate change regiem", they only want your money so they can live high on the hog before they become extinct themselves.
    G.

Thread Information